Weird sound from mic, due to audio interface?

MaxAndMusic

Hey guys,

I have a question about recording sound.
I'm getting a strange kind of sound from my microphone when I record my voice. I sing right in front of the mic, but it makes it sound like I'm a couple meters away from it? And it's not really clear.

The strange part is that my stephbrother uses the exact same microphone, but a different interface. Could it be that my interface is just not good enough?

We both use a T.Bone SC 400 Condenser Microphone

I use a Miditech Audiolink II, which is quite old.

He uses a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

All the help is welcome!

Cheers

It's weird though, because earlier recordings, not the same day, were much clearer and not so distant

Are you on a laptop?
Sounds to me like you're talking into the t-bone but recording from a laptop's built in mic.
Tap the grill gently and see if your meters peak. If they don't, tap the laptop built in mic and see if the DAW meters peak.

It might also be you are listening to both the Direct Monitor of the interface and the track monitor in your DAW program which will have a bit of latency. Turn off the track monitor.

I'm a 110% certain that I'm using my T-bone mic.

It's still weird that I get those weird recordings now. I made a crappy Wonderwall cover a few months ago I think, and the sound was way clearer

Oh my god, I fixed it, finally...

I went into Windows Sound thingy for recording apparatus and in my head I made a link with my setup in Cubase.

So apparently, another mic that was plugged into my laptop (so you were almost correct) was configured as my Mic1... Instead of my T-bone.

I thought it was strange, because apparently, my Condenser Mic's name is USB Audio Codec, so I thought it was my other mic...

Soooo, thanks for the brainstorming help guys, the problem is solved: It was my lack of intelligence :P

Back