the way it is

sweetnubs

1.analog still sounds better than digital-20 years later!

2. if you have to go digital, pcs are way better than mac.

3. the tube craze is mostly hot air. you like neve? then you like solid state.

4. project studios for the most part suck. home recordist gear is junk. you can only make it sound passable if you are a very experienced engineer.

5. your marshall mic does not compare favorablely to a neumann.

6. RNC stands for Real Nasty Crap.

7. gear design has not improved in 30 years. you're better off buying reissues. you get the same gear with no dried out capacitors and a warranty

8. yes you can make good mixes on ns10's

9. plug-ins suck. why by something that emulates gear when you can have actual gear? outboard is by far better. digital reverb sucks. chambers are the only way to go.

10. new laws that should be passed: a) autotune should be made illegal. b) anybody who does any recording whatsoever should be liscenced like any other engineer. i'm sick of home studio hacks calling themselves engineers. c) all musicians should have to pass a proficiency exam before being allowed to record.

11. rode sucks, marshall mics suck, oktava sucks, studio projects sucks, bellari sucks, joe meek sucks, presonus sucks, ART sucks, m-audio sucks, aleisis sucks, and i'm going to stop there.

Yo SnubSweets:

Whatever point you are trying to make is almost obfuscated by your negative delight in whatever you are stating.

Maybe you should try to find an old wire recorder?

Don't know what point you are trying to make.

But, keep trying.

Green Hornet:D :cool:

Wow, a new record! Possibly beating out Father Time, 5 posts and you've already detailed the extent of your ignorance. Way to go!-Richie

oh i am sorry, you must be another dipshit with a digi001, protools, an ART MPA to "warm" up the signal of your oktava mic before it goes digital. hah hah hah.

"1.analog still sounds better than digital-20 years later! "

thats a pretty broad statement! So a wax cylinder sounds better than a Crane Song Spider ?

"2. if you have to go digital, pcs are way better than mac. "

I'm a 100% PC guy now, but that is like saying " If you have feet, it is way better to have red shoes than green ones"

"3. the tube craze is mostly hot air. you like neve? then you like solid state."

wow! gee! none of us ever knew that! Boy you must be a prophet!

"4. project studios for the most part suck. home recordist gear is junk. you can only make it sound passable if you are a very experienced engineer. "

WOW!!!! more stuff noone has ever heard before! You have some SERIOUS insight!

"5. your marshall mic does not compare favorablely to a neumann. "

I own a few nuemanns that would make that statement total crap, I also own a few nuemanns that would back that statement up...pretty broad statement there

"6. RNC stands for Real Nasty Crap. "

oh really? I own several very expensive compressors, but the RNC is never " worse " than any of them, just different. Sometimes I need the control of my DBX 160SL, or sometimes I need the tubes from my LA-2A's oh but wait tubes are crap right?

"7. gear design has not improved in 30 years. you're better off buying reissues. you get the same gear with no dried out capacitors and a warranty "

Some gear hasnt improved and some has, that is an idiotic statement

"8. yes you can make good mixes on ns10's "

no shit sherlock, who says you can't?

"9. plug-ins suck. why by something that emulates gear when you can have actual gear? outboard is by far better. digital reverb sucks. chambers are the only way to go. "

There are many many many plugins that cant be made in the hardware world, or that would be severely limited in hardware only. I have a DM-5, D-Drum, Forat, DM-pro that all sit idle thanks to a plugin called Drumagog. In that case the hardware cant compare in sound OR functionality.
Now that sony has pulled out a convolution device, accoustic mirror isnt alone, but still its a great plug, and more functional on the PC than in the rack.
Plugin parameter automation is nice too, MIDI control in hardware cant touch it.
Yeah theres lots of good hardware that cant so far be made with plugs, but the opposite is also true, another broad ignorant generalization

"10. new laws that should be passed: a) autotune should be made illegal. b) anybody who does any recording whatsoever should be liscenced like any other engineer. i'm sick of home studio hacks calling themselves engineers. c) all musicians should have to pass a proficiency exam before being allowed to record. "

cant argue with you on # 10

"11. rode sucks, marshall mics suck, oktava sucks, studio projects sucks, bellari sucks, joe meek sucks, presonus sucks, ART sucks, m-audio sucks, aleisis sucks, and i'm going to stop there."

too broad, some of the stuff there is OK

let me guess:
you sound just like someone who just saw the big league, maybe a friend showed you a real studio or something so now youre all cocky know it all, but I could be wrong, you could just be an idiot

Yep, and he didn't say a thing about Behringer stuff.

If ignorance is bliss, nubby must be the happiest dude in the world. :rolleyes:

Musicians should have to pass a profficiency exam before they can record?
If that happened I never would have improved!
Christ! That is such a Facist statement. Maybe you should pass a profficiency test before you open your big mouth Mr. "I have 7 posts so I know everything".
And Home recording gear is junk? Well, this is HOMERECORDING.COM - if your complaining about the opinions and advice of the people on this forum go somewhere else. I found the posts I read helped me in my desicion to buy an Octava MK319 - a mic you deem as 'Sucks'. Maybe if we were all as rich and arrogant as yourself we could afford to buy the best all the time, but ya know, lifes not that good to me.
I guess I'll have to get by on my crappy little home studio - wait a minute - what a waste of time! My set up sucks and I never noticed!

*YAWN*

Trolls are so bloody annoying........ :rolleyes:

sweetnubs said:
1.analog still sounds better than digital-20 years later!

2. if you have to go digital, pcs are way better than mac.

3. the tube craze is mostly hot air. you like neve? then you like solid state.

4. project studios for the most part suck. home recordist gear is junk. you can only make it sound passable if you are a very experienced engineer.

5. your marshall mic does not compare favorablely to a neumann.

6. RNC stands for Real Nasty Crap.

7. gear design has not improved in 30 years. you're better off buying reissues. you get the same gear with no dried out capacitors and a warranty

8. yes you can make good mixes on ns10's

9. plug-ins suck. why by something that emulates gear when you can have actual gear? outboard is by far better. digital reverb sucks. chambers are the only way to go.

10. new laws that should be passed: a) autotune should be made illegal. b) anybody who does any recording whatsoever should be liscenced like any other engineer. i'm sick of home studio hacks calling themselves engineers. c) all musicians should have to pass a proficiency exam before being allowed to record.

11. rode sucks, marshall mics suck, oktava sucks, studio projects sucks, bellari sucks, joe meek sucks, presonus sucks, ART sucks, m-audio sucks, aleisis sucks, and i'm going to stop there.

pipeline audio: i assumed with the little analog statement i made most people knew i was talking about a nice 2" running at 30ips that was properly calibrated, aligned, etc.

i said "for the most part" the tube craze is hot air. the la-2a is a bitichin' compressor. i generally prefer well designed solid state gear, but actually like tube eq. that way you have the choice to put it in or out of the signal path and you can use the eq to tune in to its own harmonics. it pisses me off 'cause i get jackasses in the studio that demand i use tube equipment even though it might sound like shit.

gear design has not improved. it's only gotten cheaper. (for the most part) you could do perfectly fine with reissues, copies and vintage equipment.

the hardware world is limited vs. plug ins? can you run forty reverbs on your computer? (extreme example) easy through aux sends. please don't even mention dynamic processing on the plug in side which is all garbage. bombfactory-scmonfactory.

oh yeah, i forgot to mention how much berigner sucks. well it royally sucks.

i'm a bit testy because i'm sick of home studio hacks cutting into a professionals business because they went and bought an m-box and now they think they are a recording engineer. i do get a lot more work consulting though which i hate doing.

"but dude its monster cable" hah hah hah. you ever measure the capacitance on one of those things? if i gave one of those home studio wussies some mogami, a tt-batch bay and a soldering iron they would run crying back to mommy.

here's my tribute to all the hip-hoppers who keep breaking my mics with their machismo street-smart hubris:

yo, this is sweetnubs
don't get all in a 'tiz
i just be telling it like it is
word

"the hardware world is limited vs. plug ins? can you run forty reverbs on your computer? (extreme example) easy through aux sends."

really? you got a console with 40 aux sends?

My point is that there are good plugs and good hardware, and there are plugs which cant be made in hardware sensibly, the blanket statement that plugins suck is retarded.

" please don't even mention dynamic processing on the plug in side which is all garbage. bombfactory-scmonfactory."

I've seen lots of technical compressor and technical gates that are better " technically" than their hardware brethren, but for the most part, musical compressor plugs suck

"i'm a bit testy because i'm sick of home studio hacks cutting into a professionals business because they went and bought an m-box and now they think they are a recording engineer. i do get a lot more work consulting though which i hate doing.
"

Im in the exact same boat. You also forgot the douchebags who buy a digi 001 or download PT free and say " yeah we got Pro Tools "

sweetnubs said:

i'm a bit testy because i'm sick of home studio hacks cutting into a professionals business because they went and bought an m-box and now they think they are a recording engineer.

Blame Alesis if your looking to point a finger. There is some truth to your remarks on the gear, but its too generalized to for me to take it seriously. Maybe you can introduce yourself to Harvey Gerst and chat about your microphone generalities, or maybe to Fletcher at Mercenary Audio about the RNC and how remakes are the same thing as the original.

To use such a blanketed statement about needing a degree in recording or audio engineering is a slap in the face of the people who built specialized gear for recording by scratch before any college had an audio department. Alot of the products were concieved by home hackers because there was no Guitar center to supply them with endless options.

And what makes you qualified? Are you an engineer with your PE?

Same kind of thinking as those who think you need to read music to be a musician.

There are many respectable engineers and producers who started at home with crap gear, maybe you can tell Joe Chicarelli he isn't qualified because of his roots in garage studios. Maybe you got your start with a golden spoon in your mouth and you thik that gives you the right to come here to insult the hobbyist, which many of don't encroach on your business.

Maybe your losing business because of your inability to play well with other children? Attitude is everything. Been fired myself for my attitude during recording sessions(mental note-never tell the cheif engineer he is a pushover)
Ill tell ya though, if your losing business to a M-Box owner while your using a 2" 24 trk 40 input API, maybe you need to re-evaluate your strategy or move to another city. Some places are just not making money in the last 2 years. If you want to contribute constructively with your knowledge and experience please feel free to stay, but if your think these homerecordists will put up with gear snobbery and bad attitudes Ill get the Preparation H for ya.

SoMm

Hmmmmm..........I'm a home recording hack. Glad to meet you. Welcome to HomeRecording.com where all us hacks hang out. You must have mistakenly mis-typed the URL when trying to go to ProSoundWeb. Honest mistake. By the way, I am cutting into your bussiness in a BIG way. No offence.

weird. maybe if Sweetnubs had gotten an edgamacation he'd have something to fall back on. He's right. That prowess with the Mogami cable has me cowering...

Seriously, is there any point to these posts? The subjective assertions I won't even address but, in regards to cutting into your business, you've got to be shitting me. A discerning musician knows the difference between home recording engineer and a "real" studio. If they don't, they shouldn't be paying your rates. :D

Anyway, do you really want the type of clientele that us home reccers get? I'll tell you, sweet, you don't want to record the demos I've done over the last four months. The fact you would charge them the same thing as a signed act or a commercial job is dispicable, at the very least.

There. I've run circles around you logically. If you're not satisfied, we can thumbwrestle to declare a victor. :)

stone

son of mixerman: i did not say a recording degree was necessary, i just think before anyone is allowed to buy recording equipment they should have to flash their recording engineers licsence that they received through a certification test. you don't need to go to school, christ i send most interns to retrieve my laundry and buy me yummy salvadoreon food. my mommy and daddy work in a factory and a retail store respectively, no silver spoon here. in fact that's what pisses me off is i see silver spoon recording school jackasses with home studios filled with neumanns and neves and they don't know how in the hell to use them. i do blame aleisis and especially indie rock.

if before you could record a musician had to pass an proficiency exam then recording life and music in general would be much better. just think: no more autotune, bye bye endless daw editing, 1st takes! no more, as i like to call her, "spear brittany" ever record classical and jazz musicians? it actually makes recording fun.

stonepiano: unfortunately most musicians are duped by the home recording fad and don't know the difference between a real studio and a hobbie studio. it is perpetuated by the hardware/software business and trade magazines because they can sell advertising space. usually what happens is eventually they figure out that making a good recording is difficult then they bring me their shitty tracks over to me to fix. another reason i hate computers. please everyone look up the word "phase" i suck at thumbwrestling, very unfair.

yo track-rat: it's ok you're cutting into my business. i'll be getting paid to fix all of your shitty tracks. and i'll reap the benefits of buying your used gear once you sell it all off because you've realized you don't know what in the hell you are doing and sell it in a fit of frustration.

note to home recording freshmen:

you cannot master at home. i cannot master at my studio. i don't even presume to be skilled at mastering. mastering engineers can master and that's it, no ifs ands or buts.

come children, gather around the feet of sweetnubs.

Back