Waveforms coming through Blackjack interface very low, do I need an external preamp?

brand0nized

I have a Mackie Blackjack USB interface. It supposedly has Mackie's boutique-quality preamps, but when I record with my mic into my computer, one thing I notice is that the wave forms are really small. I can't turn up my tracks by very much until it starts clipping.

Could anyone with more technical experience help me with this issue? I'm not sure if I'm not using my interface properly or the preamps aren't enough for me.

I've never used that interface so I can't speak specifically for it. I have noticed however on other interfaces there is often a button or switch on a channel that changes what kind of input its looking for. You want to make sure its on the correct setting. For example I had the same problem with my Motu 896HD. On the back where the inputs are each channel has a switch that selects different input levels. I was on line level, and needed to be on mic level. I would assume its probably something like this. Also, if there is a pad on the channel make sure you turn the pad off.

"the waveforms are very small', yet if you turn it up, you start clipping? What level (dB - decibels) are you recording at? What DAW? Do you think you just need to expand vertically your view in your DAW?

"the waveforms are very small', yet if you turn it up, you start clipping? What level (dB - decibels) are you recording at? What DAW? Do you think you just need to expand vertically your view in your DAW?

I mean small in comparison to all the room to the top. I don't quite know the exact decibels, but I do know that there is way more room above and below the waveform until it hits 0db. I'm recording into Sonar X1. I compare my tracks to other tracks and mine are very soft.

You have 60 db of gain - I'm surprised you can't get tons of signal. What kind of microphone are you using?

I'm having trouble understanding this. If there's a lot of room before it hits 0db, then how can it clip so easily if you turn it up? Like MJB said above, are you sure it's not just a matter of changing the view on your DAW? If you can find out what DB you're peaking at, we could probably help you more.

I'm having trouble understanding this. If there's a lot of room before it hits 0db, then how can it clip so easily if you turn it up? Like MJB said above, are you sure it's not just a matter of changing the view on your DAW? If you can find out what DB you're peaking at, we could probably help you more.

Good point. I will do another point when I find time to record something and analyze the details. The thing is, I can never get my tracks to a loudness even close to songs I listen to. I might have to heavily compress it to get there. Is this a compression/mastering issue?

Is this a compression/mastering issue?

Yes, this is why a couple of us are probably suspecting that your level actually isn't low. It's totally normal that your tracks will be way lower than most commercial releases. It's normal to have to turn up your monitors while recording and turning them down when you're listening to a "pro" CD.

When you're mixing, you shouldn't be going anywhere near clipping. It should be "way too low" compared to what you're used to. Once your mix is final, you then take that 2-track master file, open a new project, and "master" it with limiting and/or compression and/or EQ, etc....and get the finishing touches on it, including volume.

This is why when someone comes in here and says something about his tracks being too low, we ask what level he/she is actually talking about and it usually ends up that their level is actually what it should be.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this is why a couple of us are probably suspecting that your level actually isn't low. It's totally normal that your tracks will be way lower than most commercial releases. It's normal to have to turn up your monitors while recording and turning them down when you're listening to a "pro" CD.

When you're mixing, you shouldn't be going anywhere near clipping. It should be "way too low" compared to what you're used to. Once your mix is final, you then take that 2-track master file, open a new project, and "master" it with limiting and/or compression and/or EQ, etc....and get the finishing touches on it, including volume.

This is why when someone comes in here and says something about his tracks being too low, we ask what level he/she is actually talking about and it usually ends up that their level is actually what it should be.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! I never read this anywhere or learned it in a video. I finally found some people who can speak some truth!

I do apologize for the frustration and confusion if I had caused any. I sometimes get in over my head about things when I just need someone to teach me the real truth. Thanks for your help!

Then, would these need some heavy compression/limiting to master it up to a decent level? My music is very acoustic and from what I hear, too much compression on this takes away from the natural sound. Is this really what I have to do?

Mix first. Master later. Track and mix at anywhere from -18dB to -12dB (you still didn't tell us what DAW you are using). Then worry about how to get the volume up during mastering. subtle compression and limiting will work much better than huge compression that just kills the song's dynamics. Google 'volume war' and read all the articles you find!

Mix first. Master later. Track and mix at anywhere from -18dB to -12dB (you still didn't tell us what DAW you are using). Then worry about how to get the volume up during mastering. subtle compression and limiting will work much better than huge compression that just kills the song's dynamics. Google 'volume war' and read all the articles you find!

-18db to -12db? That's a good guideline that I need. I mentioned in another reply that i use Sonar X1. This subtle compression and limiting you say, would be in the mastering process?

You may need to add compression to single tracks as you are doing the mixing, but yes, the mastering stage is when the overall volume and tone balance is addressed.

I use a Mackie Onyx 1640i and when you set your gain to zero on the blackjack (same preamps as 1640i) then the signal going into the pc will show up at around -18 to -20 on the digital scale. Thats normal. So if the level in your daw is in that range its working fine. Your best to mix in that range and just crank up the volume on your monitors. By the time you add more tracks (drums, bass, vocals, more guitar), then the accumulative value of all tracks should raise the overal summed mix to -14 or so. Then to raise up up to commercial levels, use a limiter.

Another note on the Onyx preamps. Push them up to around +2 to 3 on the blackjack meter. The love to be pushed a little and sound great.

Back