Waveform size

andrushkiwt

Today, I tracked vocals for a new song. As I'm sitting down to start editing the 14 vox tracks, I notice that the waveforms are much smaller than usual - the quietest lines don't even appear to incite a visual indicator (there's no waveform, just audio). I did use a different mic than usual (Sterling ST51 instead of the AT4040) and I had the input level on the interface set best for the AT since it's my usual preference.

So, question is, is there anything inherently "wrong" with smaller waveforms?

No there isn't anything wrong with small waveforms. But you should adjust the recording level for the mic and source that you are using, every time you record.

In most daws, there is a waveform zoom control which can make the waveform big enough to edit.

Nothing wrong with smaller waveforms as long as it sounds like it was recorded at the right level relative to the music. But if you did then just zoom in and you should be good.

yeah, i can enhance the size. should have adjusted the input for the mic change. thanks guys, good to know

The ability to change waveform zoom makes it meaningless unless you have a known point of reference.
It's possible to make background noise fill the display, and to make a clipped recording barely visible!

Best to use the meters for input level reference, and the waveform view for editing cues.

The ability to change waveform zoom makes it meaningless unless you have a known point of reference.
It's possible to make background noise fill the display, and to make a clipped recording barely visible!

Best to use the meters for input level reference, and the waveform view for editing cues.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Steenamaroo again."

Okay, a few thoughts here...

First, there's no "best" input level setting. It's a control designed to get the optimum level from each source you use and this means adjusting it for each recording.

Second, the waveform is merely a graphical representation of the levels you're getting and can be somewhat deceiving, particularly with some DAWs that let you adjust the range of the display. It's much more accurate and important to use the meters and let the waveform go where it wants.

Third, on you meters, be aware that there are several different standards for what they're telling you. The two most common for the purposes of home recording are dB(VU) and dB(FS). Your DAW will almost certainly be reading dB(FS) which stands for "full scale". In this scale, 0dB is equivalent to the very loudest signal your system can handle in the digital domain. If you're recording at 24 bit, this means that you have a reading of 111111111111111111111111. This means there's no way to go louder so anything more will cause distortion. (There was no good reason to put those 24 number 1s there other than my own amusement.)

Anyway, on the other scale (dB(VU)) is used mainly in analogue and 0dB(VU) is a relatively arbitrary voltage well below the point at which the signal will clip. It's pretty common to record at +8dB or even more in analogue and still have headroom before clipping.

This brings us to the important part. Typically, 0dB(FS) equates to +18dB(VU). What this means is that you ideal level is probably going to have peaks somewhere in the -10dB(FS) area. I often push it a bit harder but try to never go above -6dB(FS) when tracking. This means relatively small looking waveforms on most DAWs.

It is also of course the case that as the number of tracks increases the individual waveforms must get smaller.
The solution is of course a bigger screen but 20"+ monitors are expensive. Look therefore at an FSTV. £200 here buys you a decent, basic 32incher (prob' 50bucks in US!) but if funds are even tighter look at S/H and charity shops. I recently picked up a stonking JVC 25" set for £19.99! Grandson needed HDMI for his new playstation. Has VGA.

Ok, resolution is not as good as a proper PC monitor but really quite good enough for musical use. One caveat. If you ever have a boot problem with a PC make sure to run it on a proper monitor, most TVs won't run the odd scan regimes of a poorly PC or one in diagnostic mode.

Dave.

Back