Want to upgrade from a MXL V67G mic for Vocals

TheComposer

What's up, I have a MXL V67G but I've been thinking to upgrade to another mic, budget of 100-200 USD.

To tell the truth, I like the sound of mic a lot, but of course it's because I haven't heard nothing yet, so what would be a good upgrade to record vocals?

Hey,

It's hard to make specific recommendations but there's a bunch of well respected mics out there which always get a safe-vote.
Is there anything you don't like about yours or any processing that you have to apply consistently? Something that a new mic could aim to remedy?

If I had to buy all my mics again I'd get the sm7b first, but it happens to suit me, my environment, and my voice.
The same might not be true for you.
I always think a used mk219 is a can't-lose mic because they're pretty cheap and, I think, a lot more natural than a lot of the modern condensers at the same price point.

If you don't want to take a punt it might be worth finding a local studio where you could road test a bunch of known names.

It's not what you asked but what's your environment like?
If there's mega room for improvement there it might be a better place to put your money. It's surprising what even modest treatment can achieve.

Stuff to think about. :)

Are you upgrading or buying a second mic, which is what I would do, then you have the choice of different mic sounds.

The budget you have is not that much, but you could try secondhand, for example a Rode NT1000 for about half new price could be in the budget, I like them a lot and they don't seem as popular as the more common buys like the NT1, NT2, etc so I think of it as a bit of a sleeper, I own 2. I recently picked up a CAD Tron 8000 valve mic for AU$200 (about US$160).

Trouble is asking people for mic recommendations is opening the door to a 1000 suggestions, Mics are like Monitors, it's always up to the individual.

Alan.

Are you upgrading or buying a second mic, which is what I would do, then you have the choice of different mic sounds.

The budget you have is not that much, but you could try secondhand, for example a Rode NT1000 for about half new price could be in the budget, I like them a lot and they don't seem as popular as the more common buys like the NT1, NT2, etc so I think of it as a bit of a sleeper, I own 2. I recently picked up a CAD Tron 8000 valve mic for AU$200 (about US$160).

Trouble is asking people for mic recommendations is opening the door to a 1000 suggestions, Mics are like Monitors, it's always up to the individual.

Alan.

Hi, well, I'm getting a second mic, so I said "Why not upgrade if I have the chance?", my mic sounds really good, it feels kind of weird getting the very same model again, but again, is that a common practice?

I guess I wouldn't mind buying another one since the V67G are not that expensive and they deliver.

What's up, I have a MXL V67G but I've been thinking to upgrade to another mic, budget of 100-200 USD.

To tell the truth, I like the sound of mic a lot, but of course it's because I haven't heard nothing yet
Why do you assume that? If you like it a lot, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. And for the love of God don't fall into the "I have to spend a lot of money to get good equipment" BS mindset.

I guess I wouldn't mind buying another one since the V67G are not that expensive and they deliver.
Now ya got it :thumbs up:

Also might want to post here: https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/

its cool track, love it.

but Im hearing some popin going on. which track? foam cover would take that out I bet or a faster gate on the culprit.

it would be of course interesting to hear this done with a U67 into a 6176 too.

great notes man well mixed.

Back