Vocals and the whisper trick.......?

chadsxe

I hear alot of people mention this trick. I have a few questoin. What style of vocals does this generaly work for. Pop, punk, screaming. When whispering explain the whisper 2 me. Is it all air from the mouth or is there some slight throat involved. Does every word you whisper need 2 be in tune with the lead vocal. Because I read 2 be mono tone.

The "whisper track" in the classic sense is monotonous - No voice box - Just air and pronunciation. Then heavier and more dense the music, the less handy it is. Although I've used it in metal with good results (but in sparse parts).

I find it actually works quite well in slower, heavier rock where the vocalist is performing dynamically. Although there is no throat work involved, there is some mouth movement that gets picked up because you are jacking up the signal of the mic to pick up the whisper. It can also add back just the right amount of sibilant pronunciation to the vocal track if too much is taken out in the original performance.

I know a lot of emo/hardcore bands use this technique. I used it on a project that I did with a friend that was kind of acoustic rock for an ending, fadeout repeating line, mixed it way in the background with 3-4 tracks of vocals. It came out really cool. I don't think this technique is really limited to a specific style of music. I mean I don't think you'll hear celine dion doing it, but it has it's place in lots of styles.

I think you'll find it most prominent with frilly, poppy kind of fluff like Mariah Carey. Anywhere you have a vocalist purposely trying to sound all airy and seductive. Think R&B makeout music.

There are definitely whispers in his tracks! You need to hear it in the proper environment. I never heard it before one day my wife brought me into a department store and they played one of his tunes.
I could hear him whispering "I wanna run through the halls of my highschool...blah blah blah..." behind his - yes, naturally "airy" voice.

Actually, since I've heard of this technique - have yet to try it - I hear it constantly. To the point where it drives me up a wall! I wish I never heard of it so I'd not notice it!! Haha!

I read also that even Michael Jackson uses it constantly. Only he times out his whispers in a strange, rhythmic way.

The whisper tecnique is good and sneaky to the untrained ear. The only song i have really noticed it being used is in the 3rd track of "Deftones" White pony.
He screams and also uses a whisper track to make it sound like he is really screaming his head off. It is pretty clever stuff actually. If you can take a listen to the song. Not the best of songs as it is a bit heavy for me, but never the less the Deftones can still rock some tunes.

Back