Vocal Waveform Q

andrushkiwt

Hey, I've been wondering what this waveform blob has been saying about my recording/singing technique. A few times throughout a song, nowadays, I'm getting this odd shape from the waveform that makes me wonder if I could be capturing the audio better somehow. I can't say I hear anything weird when I listen to it, but its shape confuses me.

In the pic, the odd shape starts where I moved the timeline. The large, condensed section just after it is an "ess" sound, which I've chopped into an "event" and reduced, manually, in volume. But, does the piece before the "ess" say anything about my recording?

Screenshot (4).png

By the size of the waveform, it looks likes it's a really low frequency, unless it is just an abnormality or error with your DAW. Are you stepping on your mic stand? Or perhaps it's a 'plosive'? Could you upload an audio example?

Yep, very low frequency, possibly below the audible range. Is the mic on a shock mount? It looks like the mic is wobbling in the mount, or maybe the stand is shuddering. You could measure the duration of one cycle and calculate the frequency.

Ah that makes sense. I'm not at home now and I don't remember what it sounds like. There have llbeen low freq detections on my Parma. EQ lately. I'm sure that's what it is. Thnx

I might be tripping, but I'm seeing a similar kind of shape in the yellow "bass" track there.

Anyway, it's definitely stealing headroom on that track.

I might be tripping, but I'm seeing a similar kind of shape in the yellow "bass" track there.

Anyway, it's definitely stealing headroom on that track.

Shouldn't the bass have those drawn out, long sounds? If they're lower freq's, then the bass would be abundant in them, no?

Shouldn't the bass have those drawn out, long sounds? If they're lower freq's, then the bass would be abundant in them, no?
Sorry, that was kind of two different statements. First I was trying to say that it almost looks like the bass and vocal seem to share that thing. It might be a hint toward what it is.

Then I was saying that it is stealing headroom from the vocal. Though I guess if it's some global glitch, and not supposed to be in the bass track either, it's wasting headroom there too. I can't really read the ruler well enough to estimate the frequency there. It might be something went weird in a power supply somewhere. I get all kinds of crazy waveforms when I turn phantom power on and off.

Sorry, that was kind of two different statements. First I was trying to say that it almost looks like the bass and vocal seem to share that thing. It might be a hint toward what it is.

Then I was saying that it is stealing headroom from the vocal. Though I guess if it's some global glitch, and not supposed to be in the bass track either, it's wasting headroom there too. I can't really read the ruler well enough to estimate the frequency there. It might be something went weird in a power supply somewhere. I get all kinds of crazy waveforms when I turn phantom power on and off.

Well, my vocal "booth" is far from quiet. I'm next to the road, above neighbors, and there's a sidewalk right outside it. They are flimsy apartment walls, although the walk-in closet is perfect size. I pad the closet with blankets and comforters, but I also stomp my foot and move around quite a bit while I sing.

As far as the bass, it's DI. I'd like to get as clear a signal as I can get, but once in awhile there are some glitchy pops and cracks that I can't seem to avoid. I'm also using a pick when I play bass, so there's quite a bit of poppy-attack with most bass notes.

I think the ruler is set to measures/beats anyway.

If the frequency measures out to 60Hz or 120Hz, it's pretty likely to be power. But I suspect it's lower than that.

Try soloing the track and toggling a HPF set to 80Hz or so. The level should go down when you engage the HPF and back up when you disengage it. Then, with it on, sweep it around while watching the level. That may give you an idea what the frequency it.

If a capacitor suddenly charges/discharges, the frequency will depend on its value. Has nothing to do with AC line frequency.

While I always appreciate the help, you know you get too technical sometimes :) Dumb it down for me yo! I'm just a simpleton. ;)

Gees! All this.. analysis.
What does it sound like?
That would be ..a pretty good clue right?
How loud is it compared to the 'vocal?
It is a vocal right?
It could be as simple as breath air rumble.
I know some guys ..not even aware, that following 'the word they sing, they emit some manner of low throat 'mmm ugg noise.
I don't laugh 'cause I found out in a session I did it while I played guitar! :rolleyes:

Back