Vocal reverb with DAW plug ins...please help.

copperandstars

Hello,

I am soon to be recording a demo on my friends computer. He has Cubase SX and the Waves gold bundle. He also has some Timeworks and Steinburg plug ins. Whenever I mess around with putting reverb on the vocals, I can never get it sounding good. Any advice on which softwear plug ins and settings to use for vocal reverb would be very, very appreciated.

Thanks!
Ryan

Unfortunately, there is no formula. Cubase SX and Waves is good stuff though.

Best advice I can give you is to listen closely to a professionally recorded CD that resembles the type of singer and music you're working with, and try to match it.

At very least, it's a starting point. I woulnd't go too crazy tweaking until you've got the whole mix tracked.

Make sure you are setting up the reverbs correctly. That would mean putting the plug-in on an aux return and setting it to be 100% wet. Use aux sends on the individual tracks to control how much reverb is on each track. This usually works much better than putting the plug-in on the track itself.

For vocals, try a plate or small room (or combination of both) rather than a hall or other large space. Experiment with the predelay settings on the reverb to retain lyric clarity.

Have some idea of what you are trying to achieve. Are you just trying to place the voice in an acoustic space, or are you trying to get obvious reverb tails? Listen to similar commercial recordings and try to hear what is happening on the vocal reverbs, then try to duplicate that sound.

I have had good luck with TC MegaReverb, Waves Renaissance Reverb, and my new favorite: Digi's ReverbOne. I'm sure there are others that are fine too.

Thanks for the help!

The band I am recording is a rockin' emo/hardcore band. If you are familiar with that style of music think along the lines of Thursday or The Used. There is no screaming but lets say the lyrics are sung, hummm...powerfuly, with passion. I'll try out what you have suggested.

Thanks,
ryan

littledog said:
Make sure you are setting up the reverbs correctly. That would mean putting the plug-in on an aux return and setting it to be 100% wet. Use aux sends on the individual tracks to control how much reverb is on each track. This usually works much better than putting the plug-in on the track itself.

Definitely does.

Also check out timeworks 4080L reverb along with their reverb X. Very smooth and transparent reverbs. A great color to have alongside waves Renverb.

Would you also suggest running compressors or other effects through the aux sends/returns rather then just using them as inserts on the track?

Ryan

NOOOOOOO!

Processors should be inserted to process the whole signal. That would include compressors, eq's, gates, de-essers, expanders, limiters, etc.

Effects are best used with aux sends, because you are blending the dry signal with the effected one. These would include reverbs, and delays.

In special cases you might use an effect like a processor, or visa versa. For instance, you might use a delay as a processor on an entire track to get it to line up with another track that is "late".

Thanks!

I messed around with using reverbs and other effects through the aux sends and I have to say it does sound much, much better then using them as inserts. I never really even tried using the sends before...I just always inserted everything. Thanks a lot for the help.

Ryan

littledog said:

For vocals, try a plate or small room (or combination of both) rather than a hall or other large space. Experiment with the predelay settings on the reverb to retain lyric clarity.

Have some idea of what you are trying to achieve. Are you just trying to place the voice in an acoustic space, or are you trying to get obvious reverb tails? Listen to similar commercial recordings and try to hear what is happening on the vocal reverbs, then try to duplicate that sound.

I have had good luck with TC MegaReverb, Waves Renaissance Reverb, and my new favorite: Digi's ReverbOne. I'm sure there are others that are fine too.

:cool:

Learned something new today too. Excellent question (as I have the same problem). I must experiment with this. Of course, I don't have the Waves reverb that I hear so much about. :(

littledog said:
NOOOOOOO!

Processors should be inserted to process the whole signal. That would include compressors, eq's, gates, de-essers, expanders, limiters, etc.

Effects are best used with aux sends, because you are blending the dry signal with the effected one. These would include reverbs, and delays.

In special cases you might use an effect like a processor, or visa versa. For instance, you might use a delay as a processor on an entire track to get it to line up with another track that is "late".

This sounds cool except I am confused in using this process with say Sonar 2XL... I have individual effects per track and aux sends for plugins... Where is the Master plugin suppost to go or be selected?

A cool way to fatten up and add some ambience to a vocal track is to use a small/med room and on the effects return cut the lows a lot and the highs a little. Make sure the predelay is set so that the reverb doesn't muddy up the vocal. When done right you don't really even notice the reverb but it adds a slight 'shadow' to the sound.

Thanks.

TexRoadKill, being new to computer recording and recording in general I don't really understand what you mean. On cubase SX is seems that aux returns arn't used, just sends. You select the effect you want in the VST send effects menu, select how much of the effect you want set out, and the mix it in to the track using the send controls on the individual tracks. Do you mean to edit the effect in that is being sent to the track in the VST send effects menu and there cut out the lows a lot and the highs a little from the reverb?

Ryan

Another technique for reverb is to narrow the affected range. You generally don't need reverb below say 500Hz or above 2K. If your reverb allows you to control the effected frequencies then narrow it down. This eliminates nasty ringing on the high end and muddy sounds on the low end.

If your reverb doesn't have frequency control just put an EQ prior to it and pass only the key frequencies you need. Also try putting a fast attack and release compressor just prior to the reverb to stop it from zinging.

Another cool trick is to put a delay prior to reverb, wet signal only. This will effectively delay your reverb. Use short delay times. Kinda cool sound, not universal though.

Back