Vocal recording tip? This is like ..."Dashboard Confessional"

are you asking how to make a certain song sound good? did you mean to post a link to a song? or are you asking how to make vocals sound "dashboard confessional-ish"?

just a good mic, and a good recorder, everyone you ask will be biased toward different equipment, but i think the main thing to do is just experiment, find a mic that sounds good with the singers voice (it seems like most people cant go wrong with a sm 58 but i just bought an sm 57 used and it sounds great.)

p.s. from watching a dashboard confessional live performance chris was singing through an sm 58, , , but, the biggest factor would probably be the singers skill,.. i personally like dashboard confessional but i dont think chris has a very good voice, but it works great for the songs he writes.

Get a limiter and hope your voice doesn't crack when you scream.

Chris's vocals on the first Further Seems Forever record are better than any of his solo stuff, in my opinion.

pdadda said:
Sorry, as much as the dude is a wuss, he has an amazing freaking range.

Thats because he has no balls. No really, he has no balls. have you ever heard him it a low note? Like Johnny Cash low?

Didn't think so.

There is no range, just squeeling like a castrated pig.

But back to the question at hand. The only good mic the one that works.

I'm not a dashboard fan, either.

But I do notice that his voice is quite compressed on the records. Same with the guitar and everthing else, actually. Also, he is definitely not using a 58 in the studio, and adds a little too much digital delay imo.

Let's not equate screaming in key with singing. I think there is an underlying misunderstanding as to what he is doing, but people often mistake volume and intensity for emotion and honesty. I agree that his voice often sounds very compressed on record and he is absolutely limp live. He has a delivery, but no range and no dynamics, it's either whisper or scream, and the studio manages to smooth that out for him.

Back