Vocal Recording Options!!???

solit

I am looking to record vocals in my house. As I see it I have 3 options:

1.) Place sound absorbing foam on the walls of my hall closet, and make it a recording booth. It is relatively small(W4, D4, H13)

2.) Place sound absorbing foam and mic in one corner of my large bedroom(W13, D16,H13).(this is where my computer and studio monitors will be set up.

3.) My shower. Sounds funny but I'm including it because I heard that sometimes people use them(water off of course

Which would you recommend for recording vocals and why?

Try em all!

Nobody here can have an idea about how it will sound. And nobody here know what kind of results you want.

So try it! :)

Good luck

Yo Solit:

I don't have any foam in my studio -- [in beer, YES].

If you have a good mic pre and good understanding of your gear and you don't overuse EQ and reverb -- you should be able to make a good vocal track in almost any room.

Now, PROFESSIONAL STUFF, for film, or commercials, or top talent, well, you might have to consider some vocal enhancements for a studio.

I get excellent results in my studio which was slated to be a bedroom. Nay! No beds in there. No casting couch. Just a whole pile of gear which I learn to use each time I turn it on and with the help of the folks here on BBS.

Green Hornet :D :p :p :cool:

Just do it

I have recorded in my living room. It sounds like it was done in studio. No special treatment etc. I was literally setting within 3 foot of the artist. Just be careful with the mics and extraneous house noises(fans etc).

I have to agree with sloop here. I get some really nice vocal tracks in my living room. It helps that the room has a 12-foot vaulted ceiling. I tend to work the mic pretty close, so if I stay away from the walls, the room hardly figures at all in the recorded tracks.

DonF

Back