Vocal placement

dsealer

Not sure if that description is a good one. I'd like to get some advice on how I make my vocals "sit" in the mix well. I have a small variety of mics, Shure Sm 57's, 58's, AT 4033 (I believe that's the model), Sennheise 421's, a TLM 103, some small condenser AT mics,.

It seems no matter which one I use it just doesn't sit well in the mix.
Any suggestions? I'm running them into a Behringer Xr 18 digital mixer to Reaper. Like to get some advice.

Thanks, Don......

Hey there, Don!
Well, compression with quick attack, quick release...subtle spreading delays and reverbs, gentle chorus, longer subtle delays and reverbs.
My vocals tend to have a little bit of a LOT of stuff on them.

Hey there, Don!
Well, compression with quick attack, quick release...subtle spreading delays and reverbs, gentle chorus, longer subtle delays and reverbs.
My vocals tend to have a little bit of a LOT of stuff on them.
'Quick release = more forward, slow = setts it back in the mix -in general.

Panning. Are you doing any? Not sure what instrumentation you are using, but I have good effect by putting the lead vocal, most of the drums right up the middle. Bass either a tiny bit to the left or right. Acoustic/supporting guitars get panned hard to the right, lead guitars to the left side. Backup vocals go also the the left.

Then the mix is likely wrong.

Sorry for the vague reply but that is what it is all about. Basically we are trying to achieve what we hear in a live performance. Or sometimes way better.. Ugh, there are many approaches.

But basically getting 2 speakers to produce a result that has everything you want to hear involves placing each instrument or vocal in the mix without stomping on another. That is why some producers (I use that term loosely) are paid very well to achieve that.

Good advice from all here.

andrushkiwt and chili are correct. Though panning should be in there as well. And maybe delay, but that is just candy after the vocal is already sitting right.

If a vocal does not sit in the mix well, then make the mix work for the vocal. It is usually the most important instrument in most genres.

Are you recording with pre-mixed backing tracks? That can be an issue. I work with some rapper guys that do that. I tend to eq the backing track to get what is needed from it and sometimes record new instruments/add programmed drums to make it work. Always different for each track, always a unique challenge.

Post a sample of what you have so we can have a better idea of what your issue may be. Without an audio sample we are just guessing...

Back