Vocal Mic Recording Question

JohnnyAmato

As some of you know, I have 4 or 5 songs I'm getting ready to lay the vocals down on. I've only recorded vocals a few times in my life, but it was a long time ago. I used a Peavy PVM22 back then, basically Peavy's version of the Shure SM58. (I have one old song I did in the "Vocals" thread if anyone is interested in hearing it)

All I have now is two SM58s, and if I'm trying my best for a radio-quality pop recording, am I wasting my time with a 58? Do I need to get a decent condenser mic, or will the 58 do the job? I'm still finishing up writing lyrics and game-planning a makeshift vocal booth/area in the "studio", so I do have some time. I just want to know if the best idea is to get some money together for a nice condenser mic, or if I should just go ahead with the 58.

I have done some research, but opinions are all over the board, so I'm just curious what everyone around here thinks/uses.

Thanks!

Try it....it's been one of the most used live vocal mics...and it might be just right for recording your voice.

am I wasting my time with a 58? Do I need to get a decent condenser mic, or will the 58 do the job?
This whole "you use condensers for vocals" thing is relatively new -- I mean, you certainly can - but almost every "classic" vocal mic is a dynamic (or ribbon - which is another type of dynamic).

The 58 will take you pretty far in the first place assuming the source is good. If you're looking for a "star quality" mic at some point, The SM7b would be very high on a consideration list. RE20/27ND, Heil PR40... All dynamics, all staple, go-to vocal mics in just about every studio on the planet.

I'd also argue that unless the room is really "properly" treated, the dynamic is going to be much more friendly to your plight. That, and they tend to just be more vocal-friendly in the first place -- Unless you're recording operatic / choral / instrumental vocal where the room is more or less part of the equation...

DISCLAIMER: Not that many condensers aren't fine for use with vocals. But most of the time, you're fighting to get it to sound more like a dynamic anyway. If you need the additional sensitivity for some reason, look at Rode's NT1a. It doesn't have the warmth and body of a dynamic, but I find it surprisingly decent on most vocal sources (assuming the room is in good shape).

Use what you have first. See what results you get, then you can decide if you want something else. What I use is an an old Equitek condenser that I've had for fifteen years or more, basically the only mic I've ever used for vocals.

Thanks a bunch Massive, that's great info. I'll probably just use the 58 then. The room isn't treated, but I plan on setting up rugs/blankets and purchasing a vocal isolation shield of some sort, and a pop filter.

Thanks again for helping me out.

Thanks Robus, I will just use the 58. I'm more concerned now with getting the space right. The blankets and iso shield should help.

Not the mp3 forum, but I put one up in the Voice/Vocal forum a few weeks ago. It's a recording I did over 10 years ago. Basically just an acoustic and a vocal.

Back