Vocal Levels Too Low

doobchec

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with the level of my vocal tracks both during recording and at playback. The levels are way too low and the wave forms are extremely small after I've recorded. After recording I have to edit my vocal tracks and "boost" the volume several times just to hear the track. I've been using this process and it works but I know something isn't right. Even with the line inputs cranked during recording I can barely hear the track while recording and more importantly during playback!

I'm using Adobe Audition 3.0 on my laptop. I run USB into a Lexicon Alpha interface. For vocals I use my only mic- a SM57- into the Lexicon. I've tried recording with both the XLR AND 1/4" inputs on the Lexicon with the same minimal response.

I've recorded guitars and keys direct and the signals are fine. It's just when recording vocals I run into this issue. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

*Assuming* your input levels are where they should be on the vocal tracks (perhaps hitting -12dBFS or so here and there is a nice place to be), is it possible that everything else is TOO loud? Are you recording the keys and guitars up where they shouldn't be and the vocals have no chance of cutting through...?

More if you're bored... Proper Audio Recording Levels | Rants, Articles

At least, that's where I'd start. IF you add more gain, let's just say as an experiment - I mean, CAN you clip the input?

I would try to eliminate problem candidates one at a time. If you can borrow a different mic, try that. Same thing with a different mic cable...

Is the mic connected using the XLR on the back? If so, you should start with the "Output Level" fully clockwise. Then bring up "Channel 2/Mic" until you notice healthy signal level on the Adobe Audition recording track. (Refer to what Massive mentioned above about proper levels.) All levels in AA should be set to 100% or unity.

Back