Vocal Fx

dsealer

I've got 13 songs I've recorded. Each song has vocals in it. I'm having some problems finding a vocal sound that I like on the 13th song. So I started looking at the other 12 songs hoping that I'd see some pattern. Unfortunately every song has different fx on the vocal tracks. Which got me to thinking how other people setup their vocal tracks.
Is there benefit to using the same vocal fx on vocals from multiple songs or do people use whatever vocal fx sounds good on different songs. Like reverb, do people use the same reverb on all songs? Would that provide continuity across the songs? Same could be asked of eq and compression. Just for clarity, I use the same mic on all my songs.
Thanks,
Don.....

Generally, yes, I use the same FX on the main vocals on every song, but sometimes the reverb is different - plate instead of room. EQ may change due the nature of the song (full band,acoustic, etc). Delay only on some songs. My songs tend to be all over the place in terms of style/type - don't you have other songs that are 'similar' to #13?

I have a standard set of FX that I use on vocals: EQ, compression and reverb. Settings will vary according to situation and circumstance. But if it is voice that I've recorded often, I will often copy and paste the track from a previous song to use the same settings.

Additionally, there will be times when a special effect is needed, such as assorted forms of modulation or distortion.

The "identity" of music w/vocals rests entirely on the vocal sound. A compilation of different songs by different artists may have a variety of effects for the vocal artists and this will be their 'signature' if you will. A single collection of songs by the same artist should have something that ties it all together as a common identity. It's much easier to do that with a vocal signature sound than any of the instruments included in the project. Unless you're Joe Bonamassa.

I'm struggling with this idea for my upcoming album--but that's because I'm working in multiple genres on the same record. I'd like the songs to be somewhat uniform, but the rock stuff won't probably end up sounding like the country-inspired number or the folksongs. We'll see!

I don't know about fx in general but I do feel that some songs seem to need the LV more up front. I guess to me it depends not only on the genre but the emotional content of the track.

Back