vocal distortion, help

Hey everyone, I’m recording vocals with a Rode NT1 and a Groove Tubes Brick preamp. I love the sound combination, but I’m noticing that I get distortion sometimes when I sing loudly. My voice is comparable to singers like Eric Burdon and Van Morrison, basically a loud rangy baritone.

When I plug the mic directly in with no preamp, I get very little distortion. It only distorts with this added coloration from the Brick. It sounds great when I croon or in soft passages, or moderately louder passages, but when I let it rip is when there’s a problem.

I’ve thought of standing further away, but that doesn’t sound quite right to me either. I once tried an inline attenuator, and it made the track sound wimpy and horrible.

At Guitar Center today, someone told me I should try a different mic – the Shure SM7B. He said this one is better at handling loud vocals. I’ve also thought of using a compressor. I’ve never used an external compressor, but I believe that most studios have compression on the vocals going in, is that correct?

My question is, what would you recommend? Have you ever recorded a loud singer? What did you do?

First thing is to source the problem, and that would start with-
What is your record level -when it's distorting?
And what's the preamp's level. But a short search, SOS review says;
"cons; No clip LED or other metering"
Assume you've got it at min gain? And that happens to be +25 minimum.

It's probably a hot mic, (I think it is.) No pad. Maybe you can't belt into it up close with that much gain.

When I plug the mic directly in with no preamp, I get very little distortion.
Another clue this is a hot mic. These things can put out close to line level voltage.

If you're distorting at the pre- use an inline pad after the mic.
If you're distorting the converter (exceeding -6dBFS) use an inline pad after the pre. Simple as that -if that's what's happening.

Oops.. Where are you getting your phantom power when you went 'direct in'?...
One last. Pads don't have to cause it to sound 'wimpy, or different at all.

Last edited:
I agree with what mixsit said. It has to do with the signal level either coming into your preamp or into your audio interface being too hot. I would lean in the direction of the preamp boosting the signal too much since you said you get very little distortion when you are connected direct in with no preamp. If you don't have another mic to try, then I think an inline pad might be your best bet to lower the level.

You can try a compressor on the vocals at the recording stage. I have done this before; however I usually try and set the compressor to just compress the peaks of the vocals. The thing with adding compression at the recording stage is you cannot remove this compression once it is recorded.

Examine your mic technique. Quickly back your mouth away from the microphone while hitting louder notes. Then move closer for softer passages. (It's free compression.)

A few other questions...
What is your interface? Does it also have a preamp built-in?
What is your maximum recording level shown by the daw track when it distorts?
Are you dialing back/lowering the volume anywhere between the Brick output and the daw track?
Do you use a pop filter?

Examine your mic technique. Quickly back your mouth away from the microphone while hitting louder notes. Then move closer for softer passages. (It's free compression.)

A few other questions...
What is your interface? Does it also have a preamp built-in?
What is your maximum recording level shown by the daw track when it distorts?
Are you dialing back/lowering the volume anywhere between the Brick output and the daw track?
Do you use a pop filter?
And swear to Dog! we are going to keep at it -over and over if necessary - until it sinks i...

Wait. Where'd he go!?

Back