iS A VOCAL BOOTH WORTH IT??

If someone allready said this then I missed it but..

How big is the room your currently tracking vocals in?? How high is the ceiling?It seems to me that I would MUCH rather track vocals in a larger room, then try and tame a smaller one. I'm not convinced that throwing some of what has been said on the walls in a small closet will be enough. Especially if is loud singing <rock music>

I have tried all kinds of things to get a better sounding vocal track including both I've mentioned above. I ended up building a gobo and using that, along with the mic positioning to get a much better sound in the larger room than in the smaller room.

I think the moving blankets are a great idea if there is alot of air behind them, not hung on the wall.

Just my opinion.

Space

Re: Re: iS A VOCAL BOOTH WORTH IT??

CraigarS said:
I also had a few great takes ruined when I moved in the chair and a loud squeak came over the mics....

I hope that adds something worthwhile to this thread.

Craig

You were recording vocals while sitting??????????????

Dude!!!!!

*reaches over and baps ya upside the head*

That's a no no!!

- Tanlith -

I was manning the console while recording someone else who was singing who happenend to be in the same room. That's why the iso-booth got rid of that problem. I don't sing. Period. (except when trying to get the neighborhood dogs to bark! :-)

I would think the main purpose is to prevent outside sounds from leaking in. Vocal mics tend to be very sensitive and pick up everything. At least good ones do. I do vocals in my living room in a New York City apartment and I'll tell you, I could really benefit from a vocal booth. Unfortunately, the rent on the much space is too expensive in NYC.

Ok. Well, if the primary purpose is to prevent outside sounds form leaking in, then I don't think I need one, as I don't usually have that problem myself. I thought it had more to do with preventing 'bad' reflections of the vocal itself from 'leaking in'. A drier vocal would work better 4 applying artificial reverb later? I always have problems getting enough high frequencies into things that I record, and it seems it would be even harder with a deadened booth like that? So if anyone did construct their booth more for this reason, I would be interested in hearing clips of the improvement in their sound. Thanks.

This is why many radio stations use dynamic mic's over condensers for broadcasting. There are so many excellent vocal microphones, like the EV RE20, Sennheiser 421, and Shure SM7,
that they're worth a try FIRST before committing to a vocal booth IMHO.

Chris

CraigarS said:
I was manning the console while recording someone else who was singing who happenend to be in the same room....

Ahhh ok... I'm sure the recording gods will forgive you then.

:D :D :D :D :D

- Tanlith -

eyesore said:
Ok. Well, if the primary purpose is to prevent outside sounds form leaking in, then I don't think I need one, as I don't usually have that problem myself. I thought it had more to do with preventing 'bad' reflections of the vocal itself from 'leaking in'.

It does... a person with a low breathy voice would need more "reflective" surfaces to help his/her voice sound a bit brighter... and someone who sings like say Vince Niel would need more of the sound absorbed... like I said earlier... if you decide it's the way for you, then be sure to make it modular (see one of my earlier posts on this thread)...

... if you're still not sure if you want to go through the trouble, then why not visit your nearest recording studio... tell them you're writing a paper for school about the advantages of ISO booths (tell them you're taking a broadcasting class or whatever) - if you're convincing, they'll probably give you a live demonstration...

- Tanlith -

Back