Vocal booth/reflection screen options

Faultlinespine

I've just purchased an AKG C414 XLS.

image.jpg

Just hoping to get others thoughts on which type of vocal reflection screen would most suitable for this microphone. I will be recording in a properly treated studio/rehearsal space. I'm choosing between the curved screen and the flat sided booth style screen. Any thoughts on whether one may be preferable over the other with the AKG C414 in mind? I have a lot to learn about room acoustics.

Examples of the two options:

Sound Reflection Screen Filter Vocal Recording Booth Microphone Screen | eBay

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888808-REG/auray_rf_5p_b_reflection_filter.html

If the room is indeed 'properly treated', you don't need any reflection screen (the use of which is a great point of argument, anyway). Try recording without a screen first.

Agreed. If the room is properly treated you don't need a screen.

However, if you DO decide you need a screen, the only one I've ever found that works is the sE Reflexion Filter (the pro one, not the cheaper imitation).

I suspect the room is not treated as well as an A grade professional studio. It's pretty good but when my band recorded there last time, we used the owners reflection screen for vocals. I will want a reflection screen for home recording as well so I'm keen to know whether the shape of the screen is important.

Well, the shape of the screen is somewhat important--a box shape sounds, well, boxy. However, the QUALITY of the screen makes the bigger difference. Most of the cheaper ones are just acoustic foam stuck on bent fibreboard or similar and aren't much better than hanging a few acoustic tiles on your wall--i.e., useless. The better ones are actually carefully designed (and sometimes patented) to absorb a full range of frequencies.

The only one I've actually heard and though was good is the original sE Reflexion. I've heard decent reports on a few others but, if you're going the Reflection screen route, it's not a place to cut corners..

Back