Visual Clipping?

CUSETOWN

Why is it that when I normalize something to 0db in one program, it 'APPEARS' to clip in another..

Say.. Soundforge vs Wavlab or cool edit..

I'm listening with my EARS, and have no distortion at all, in fact, just clean sound at a nice hot level.. So I know everythings hunky dorey.. But still, I'm cusrious as to why there isnt an exact standard software companies calibrate their meter readings to.. Am I nuts?

I've gone through this forever.. And instead of pulling back on the level, I keep it where it is, nice & hot.. Just UNDER 0db.. Then I send it to a client who opens it up in some other pgm and bam, "This is clipping".. This needs to be resolved.. etc.. Is it me, or are more and more people listening with their eyes, and relying on some software's representation of sound more than their own ears????

Different programs do have different settings for what is considered a clip. Sometimes it is user configurable. Even on analog consoles the clip light is usually a warning that you are about to clip but doesn't always mean you have clipped.

Why are you normalising to 0? Just use a bit of limiting to around -0.2 and you will have higher volume and no clip lights in any program. Normalisation also hampers your ability to do much with EQ because you lose all your headroom.

Back