Virtual guitar amps/analog guitar amps

New Guy

Pinky and I started a observational discussion between the two on another thread, we figured it was worthy of a thread of its own.

Indeed, it's a worthy topic as I know a lot of 'old school' guitarists like me are/were hesitant to make the jump to virtualization.

Amplitube not only offers a spectacular software package, but they have a nifty pedal (albeit expensive for what it is) that allows a robust set of controls and triggers. In addition, many professional musicians are turning to virtualization for live shows (or stomp boxes with direct ins with zero use of amps). Reduces the amount of crap they have to carry, that's for sure! lol

For VST consideration I submit:

IK Multimedia | AmpliTube 3

There are many software solutions out there that vary in price and features. There's also a lot of customization that can be done, not just in the software patches and presets, but with integration of midi for triggering and wah/volume effects. I would also argue that amplification simply doesn't need to be done at the instrument level anymore. Modelling and effects have come a long way in a short time. Aside from live show presentation, there really just isn't a lot of benefit to spending tons and tons of money on the classic guitar head/amp/speaker/pedal setup. If anything, it only adds complexity to the production side and limitations to what can be done (physical nobs only turn so far!). There will always be the button pushers and nob turning crowd, like people who can't shop for things online and need to touch merchandise, but for the remaining majority this is today's the most cost effective path to the best and biggest sound possible.

Last edited:
Oh no, carrying stuff is hard! :facepalm:

If having to carry stuff makes you switch to sims, then just quit. Sims are great for recording. Using them live is lame.

So, I submit my rig. All analog, all tube, all bad ass. I'll put it up against anyone's 1s and 0s any day, any time, in any venue. :)

That's nice Greg, suit yourself. Not everyone wants to be bothered with gear anymore. It's on the way out, like it or not.

That's nice Greg, suit yourself. Not everyone wants to be bothered with gear anymore. It's on the way out, like it or not.

Lol. No it isn't. Not even close. Amp companies create and sell more product than ever. I hate to break this to you, but just because you have given up and switched to artificial sounds, relatively very few others have joined you. From the local nobodies to the big dogs of music, most of them still use amps.

For recording, I agree with you. Amp sims and drum programs have taken over big-time. But live? The real stuff still reigns supreme, and rightfully so.

The purpose of this thread is to expose people (like yourself?) to the idea that there's another way to do things, that costs them less, gives them more control, and in the end result - produces the same (or sometimes better even) sound. If something's good enough for the studio, it's just as good live plugged into the house PA.

Amps still sell because there's more people on the planet, not because everyone's out there rocking it like it's 1977. The live music scene is shrinking everywhere. It sounds like our worlds need to have a cup of coffee sometime and figure out which direction to take. While I understand why in smaller venues a good stack makes sense, it makes less sense for someone playing small venues to spend that cash on the rig versus devoting more effort and less money into something with more flexibility (small venue = little or no money earned from the gig). My entire hardware setup probably costs less than what's in your photo, including my instruments.

The purpose of this thread is to expose people (like yourself?) to the idea that there's another way to do things, that costs them less, gives them more control, and in the end result - produces the same (or sometimes better even) sound. If something's good enough for the studio, it's just as good live plugged into a good PA.
I get the impression that you are under the assumption that I'm some dumb dinosaur. You can think that if you want, but I'm not. I'm out there in the trenches actually gigging and going to shows. I'm in a city of 5 million+ people and a fucking shitload of bands. I can tell you definitively two things:
1) No one is gigging with sims. Not in the rock, punk, blues, metal, country, or indie genres anyway.
2) They don't sound better than a good amp.

Amps still sell because there's more people on the planet, not because everyone's out there rocking it like it's 1977. The live music scene is shrinking everywhere. It sounds like our worlds need to have a cup of coffee sometime and figure out which direction to take.
I 100% disagree. There are more bands than ever. Too many actually. Way too many. I don't know what your scene is like, but it seems to be in bizarro world.

My entire hardware setup probably costs less than what's in your photo, including my instruments.

Probably, but so what? It probably sounds cheaper too.

Hell, my cymbals alone probably cost more than everything you own. What does that matter?

Probably, but so what? It probably sounds cheaper too.

Hell, my cymbals alone probably cost more than everything you own. What does that matter?

Sound is subjective, but what I produce since going virtual (2012 onward) certainly doesn't sound poor.

It matters A LOT to most people, since very few us of are rolling in spare cash. And really, if spending less gets you more value/use, then why the hell not?

I get the impression that you are under the assumption that I'm some dumb dinosaur. You can think that if you want, but I'm not. I'm out there in the trenches actually gigging and going to shows. I'm in a city of 5 million+ people and a fucking shitload of bands...

I 100% disagree. There are more bands than ever. Too many actually. Way too many. I don't know what your scene is like, but it seems to be in bizarro world.

You're actually the one in bizarro world, and by your description live in one of the few 'booming' musical communities. Sucks to be you in some respects then, as it sounds like competition has you a little bitter about it (were there more quality live music in Upstate NY there might be a stronger scene, as it is there's a huge vacuum). Fwiw, where I live is "anywhere USA" and is one of those demographic locations used as a baseline for statistics.

Sound is subjective, but what I produce since going virtual (2012 onward) certainly doesn't sound poor.

It matters A LOT to most people, since very few us of are rolling in spare cash. And really, if spending less gets you more value/use, then why the hell not?

I don't knock you or anyone else for going or wanting to go digital. I don't listen to your music or see you live, so please, by all means, knock yourself out. Besides christian worship bands, I've never seen any live band use fake amps or drums. And those bands sounded terrible. But hey, that's how they wanna roll, so God be with them. I only take issue with the erroneous notion that people are heading that direction for live use and/or people that use real equipment are wrong and/or being phased out. It's not there yet. Not even close.

You're actually the one in bizarro world, and by your description live in one of the few 'booming' musical communities. Sucks to be you in some respects then, as it sounds like competition has you a little bitter about it (were there more quality live music in Upstate NY there might be a stronger scene, as it is there's a huge vacuum).

Lol. What? My city and cities around me are all similar, and they're all pretty normal music scenes. Houston, Austin, Dallas, Denton, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, San Antonio....all well within a day's drive, and they're all just as I described. So if that's "bizarro world" to you, then you're even more lost and delusional that I had originally thought.

Lol. What? My city and cities around me are all similar, and they're all pretty normal music scenes. Houston, Austin, Dallas, Denton, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, San Antonio....all well within a day's drive, and they're all just as I described. So if that's "bizarro world" to you, then you're even more lost and delusional that I had originally thought.

The entire south is bizarro, but specific to music - the South in general is one of the biggest sources for new artists in the country. You might even say it's a bit of a mecca. It's not a BAD thing, I'm just pointing out that what you see isn't necessarily indicative of the majority (those population centers combined only account for <10%(?) of the country).

Normal is relative - you know what's there, and I'm telling you that bands on tour flock to your area because there's still a strong interest in live music (and bands that provide it).

10 best US cities for live music - National Music | Examiner.com

This has nothing to do with the actual topic at this stage, it's simply a side note to illustrate that aspiring musicians in most places in the US should focus more on how they sound in the studio than live, since it's likely their trajectory to success will not be through their live gigs.

I only take issue with the erroneous notion that people are heading that direction for live use and/or people that use real equipment are wrong and/or being phased out.

Fair enough. Time will sort this out. I'll bump this in 2 years. ;)

The entire south is bizarro, but specific to music - the South in general is one of the biggest sources for new artists in the country. You might even say it's a bit of a mecca. It's not a BAD thing, I'm just pointing out that what you see isn't indicative of the majority. Normal is relative - you know what's there, and I'm telling you that bands on tour flock to your area because there's still a strong interest in live music (and bands that provide it).

Really, I think you have it backwards. The south does dominate for music, but not any more than the coasts. Not any more than any major city. You mentioned upstate NY, and I can only assume that it's a dead fucking black hole of nothingness up there. So maybe it's your perception that is skewed. Upstate NY being the empty pit of despair that it is has become your normal, and everywhere else is crazy. Maybe?

I've been to upstate NY. It's pretty to look at, but I was ready to commit suicide after about 4 hours.

Well, I really am nobody, but I've used amp sims almost exclusively - both live and recorded - for about 18 years now. I've written about it a couple times. This thread talks about what I'm using live today (thanks Jimmy!), with links back to the legacy system.

I do sometimes describe Lorenzo's Tractor as punk rock. Not because we sound like everybody else and do things in orthodox ways... ;)

I think if one was to poke around a bit one would find that many of the big touring acts - in all popular genres where guitars are involved - are forcing their roadies to carry the stacks on stage for looks, but actually playing into an amp modeler of some sort. How else are you going to reproduce the sound from the album?

This has nothing to do with the actual topic at this stage, it's simply a side note to illustrate that aspiring musicians in most places in the US should focus more on how they sound in the studio than live, since it's likely their trajectory to success will not be through their live gigs.

This point was probably missed as I was trying to figure out what any of this had to do with the topic.

And one more thing, I do happily admit that show and vanity is a part of my having that ridiculous guitar set up. I've always wanted to be the guy with way too much amp for pretty much any occasion. I think image and stage show is important. A combo on a chair works great, but it looks stupid. So yeah, I know it's over the top, but it does indeed sound incredible and will fill any room anywhere with or without a PA.

Back