That vintage violin sound?

nocarsgo

So I've been interested in that older (usually 70's) violin sound. I'm not sure how to achieve something similar at all, and since my mic selection is very limited (AT2020 condenser, SM57, and Sennheiser E609 silver), I'm afraid it would have to be done more in post recording. So any suggestions? As an example one of Radiohead's B-sides showcases some of this (although its a little to harsh for me, but thats the general sound): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3SAGWTV3A
Now I know this is more of an ensemble, but thats not as much of an issue, I've layered a lot to give it more of that sound. Thanks guys!
-nocarsgo

Ribbon mic. You can try your dynamics and play a lot with position; try slightly below the soundboard and a couple of feet in front.

Thanks for the input guys, duly noted. I was curious if there was a way in post to somewhat emulate it since the strings have already been recorded. I wish I could do the more analogue approach, but I'll have to settle. Thanks!
-nocarsgo

When I think vintage violin, I'm thinking 1600's.

No kidding. :D

The sound of a violin is mainly in the hands of the player. With a good player you have to go out of your way to make it sound bad. With a bad player, no matter how you mic it or use EQ it will sound bad.

--Ethan

Thanks for the input guys, duly noted. I was curious if there was a way in post to somewhat emulate it since the strings have already been recorded. I wish I could do the more analogue approach, but I'll have to settle. Thanks!
-nocarsgo

first or second order lowpass at 13kHz or so would be a start.

that sound you want is from an electric violin. a piezo pickup in/under the bridge. then turn the treble all the way down, push the upper bass a bit.

then compress it a bit.

voila :-)

I have an electric that sounds like that when I turn it's active volume control all the way down - I love that sound for a lot of fusion and soloing.

but violin itself doesn't sound anything like that, not a good acoustic violin played well with a decent miking setup.

So you'll have trouble reaching it with an acoustic and amic.

for cheap you can buy a cheap radio shack tie clip mic and actually drop it into the f hole on the violin (if it fits), leaving it hanging freely in there (not lying on the wood bottom of course). that's how I used to mic my acoustic violin when playing live. works well, a vaguely similar sound.

Instead of micing over the top try micing from side on. Sounds more woody.

Oh, use an old violin.

Cheers
Alan.

I know you've already recorded it it so as others have said, just fiddle with the EQ. Most DAWs have presets on the EQ which would serve as a good starting point.
I've been recording my wife's fiddle with ribbon mics (Nady RSM2 & Nady RSM8A) with really pleasing results. I wouldn't call it a "Vintage" sound though. That would be open to interpretation, really.
Good luck.

Back