Video Recording?

Nalencer

Me and my band are recording the three songs the Beatles played on their last video-recorded performance - Two of Us, Let it Be, and The Long and Winding Road - in honor of John Lennon's 25th Deathday (this Thursday).

We've got a camera, but I want to know about sound quality. We have professional recording equipment, but I'm not sure if it would be easier to begin sound and video recoridng and the very same moment, scrap the sound from the video and paste in the sound recorded on the equipment, or just run it all through the mixing board, into an amp, and video record it.

What do you think? Any alternate methods are welcome as well.

If you're using a digital video camera like Digital8 or MiniDV, go ahead and record the sound seperate on dedicated digital audio gear of higher quality than the camera. Syncing the audio back to the video in the editor is not really a problem the way it used to be with film and analog recordings - unless you go into extremely long lengths.

I just got through editing a 3-camera shoot of a wedding and reception (actually ony one camera for the reception itself) using both D8 and MiniDV cameras. There was also a seperate stereo audio track for the entire ceremony recorded to my laptop as tapped of the church's FOH board. In addition, I overdubbed some MP3s from iTunes where commercial music was used during the ceremony because the fidelity was better in the MP3s than it was from the FOH because the FOH engineer had the levels a bit too hot. Anyway, I had four hours total of raw video tape, one hour of digital stereo audio sound track, and a half-dozen or so MP3s to marry together and edit down, and had no problem manually syncing it all together without drift.

If your drummer counts off the beat with his sticks at the beginning of a song, that's a great point to use to sync up the audio and video. Just jog the video track and the audio track back and forth until the stick hits line up with their sounds and you'll be just like downtown.

G.

Back