Using an interface for the mic pres only.

dreib

Anyone ever do this? Im guessing it would work just fine using the line outs of a different interface into the line inputs of my regular interface .

Am I missing something?

Hey,
Usually the analog outputs are nothing to do with the inputs at all.
The common thing is
mic preamp - analog to digital - digital to data
and
computer audio - data to digital audio - digital to analog (line outs)

I guess there may be interfaces out there which have multichannel direct monitoring but I can't think of any.
The only time I've seen that has been a stereo sum (for headphones whilst recording).

I think my motu 828 will let me route inputs to certain outputs, but I have a feeling the computer has to be connected up to set the routing, which would mean it's not direct.

Hmmm, not sure I follow you, I am a drummer ya know!

I have a US1800 with 4 line inputs synced up and ready go but I want to use a scarlett 2i2 as the mic pre's, not synced up just passing audio.....no?....yes?...maybe?.. Havent tried it yet.

Motu's interfaces work in stand-alone mode (that's one of the reasons I bought my 828mkII years ago....)

Not all interfaces will do this. You need to check before whipping out the plastic, as usual.

Hmmm, not sure I follow you, I am a drummer ya know!

I have a US1800 with 4 line inputs synced up and ready go but I want to use a scarlett 2i2 as the mic pre's, not synced up just passing audio.....no?....yes?...maybe?.. Havent tried it yet.

It might work, Direct Monitor > On and Line Outs to the US-1800. But why not just use the 2i2 as the interface? If you're looking to upgrade the mic pres, I don't think you're going to notice a big difference. (I have both units!)

If you are looking for nicer mic pres to front the US-1800, I have a Focusrite Twin Track Pro up for sell at a good price.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/speci...erface-focusrite-mic-pre-emu-pci-card-365042/
Okay, I might be spamming my ad a little, but it also might be beneficial to you.

Im gonna pick up a 2i2 for 50 bucks so I was just thinking of different ways to use it.

Thanks everyone!!

Id rather be shot in the face than use a mac . Im still using a dell laptop from 08 that Ive never done anything to other than max out the memory and it still runs reaper over 20 tracks w/ effects and has never glitched on me once.

Knock on wood!

It is time for an upgrade but I just cant stand that macs are nearly impossible to tweak now hardware wise.

The 2i2 does not have S/PDIF, in or out (nor MIDI, tight arses!)

If it is plugged into a PC for bus power you should get the mic pres thru' the line outs via the zero latency monitoring route. (you might even be able to power the AI via one of those USB wall rats?).

If you used some smarter software like Samplitude you could use both interfaces together but you would have to use MME drivers or at least not ASIO. Still, latency probably won't be a bother for tracking?

Interfaces have got less useful. The venerable M-A Fast track pro would work, stand alone as a mic pre, (but a pretty weak one!) High Z buffer. Or you could pick off/squirt in signals via the two inserts and it could be used as a S/PDIF converter either way sans PC all you needed was 9 volts up its jaxy.

Dave.

Back