Using Inserts as Direct Outs for Recording?

Drumz519

I'm doing sound for a live show tomorrow night and I was hoping to try using the inserts on the board as direct outs to send to my M-Audio FW1814. The board is a relatively recent Mackie (not sure the model). Are this inserts going to be pre-preamp or post pre? How about pre/post fader?

Thanks!

Any chance you can get a hold of the manual of the board? Or maybe the model and then google the signal path of that board?

It should work just fine. Plug an instrument cable in until it clicks once (do not plug it all the way in.) You will be able to adjust the recording level with the trim knob, the faders won't do anything except adjust the FOH sound.

Technically, it'd have to be post-preamp regardless (otherwise you wouldn't have enough signal to do anything with).

The signal should hit the insert before fader, EQ, sends, etc.. though.

You could try pluging them in halfway or you could use a half normalled patchbay, that would definitely work.

If you plug them in all the way your recording will be fine, but you will get nothing on the channels for the FOH mix at the show. The insert pont you will be using is post preamp, preeverything else except any PAD and quite possibly high pass filter.

Back