using inserts for direct outs

jimmyc

hey , I have a behringer mx 2004a and it doesnt have direct outs so i use the inserts, but it bypasses the eqs and sends, and i obviously cant use the iserts for things such as comepressors. it is really annoying, is there a way to get the eqs to come through or to get them to work as inserts aswell, maaybe using a patchbay or something??? thanks guys hope that makes sense??

Probably not if that's the signal path in the mixer. You could go insert-out to an eq or compressor with that feeding the recorder.
On the other hand, one of the reasons for comming directly off of the mixer's pre is to avoid all that extra stuff in there, unless it's for the extra outputs.
Mackie had some mods in their manuals to change some of the internal routing. Maybe those too?
Wayne

I dont know how many tracks you're recording simultaneously and how many send's the behringer mx 2004a has. But if there is enough perhaps instead of using the inserts to go to your audio interface, you could use the sends to send each channel post eq, compressor etc. to your recorder/PC
and then keep your compressor or eq in the inserts.
Scott

in the manual, there is a section that shows how to modify your cables so that you can use your inserts as directs. i have a 2442mx and this info is in my manual.

jimmyc said:
i obviously cant use the iserts for things such as comepressors.
Why not? Most people only run compressors as an insert effect. Your compressors should feel right at home on a channel insert. Give it a try. :)

What Jimmy meant was he can't use the inserts for compressors when tracking because they are being used as direct outs. You can however, use the compressors as inserts in Cubase while tracking.......

I would use the insert first to record the tracks, then when you mis down, use the insert for your effects. You may have to do some repatching, but that is when a good patchbay comes in handy.

Fishmed said:
I would use the insert first to record the tracks, then when you mis down, use the insert for your effects. You may have to do some repatching, but that is when a good patchbay comes in handy.

I'd do it that way aswell, but you can't beat tracking a nicely compressed bass guitar - especially Dan Barret in Jimmy's band. Good Bass player.

What you could do is plug whatever it is into your pre/compressor/effect and then run that into the line in. That way you still track with the effect and also have it routed through the mixer.... If that was what you were looking for. I dunno. You know better than me anyway.

jimmyc said:
hey , I have a behringer mx 2004a and it doesnt have direct outs so i use the inserts, but it bypasses the eqs and sends, and i obviously cant use the iserts for things such as comepressors. it is really annoying, is there a way to get the eqs to come through or to get them to work as inserts aswell, maaybe using a patchbay or something??? thanks guys hope that makes sense??

Start by getting rid of that Behringer mixer;)

That's a 2+2 bus mixer. You should be able to route four separate signals (1,2,3,4) and two without any chance of crosstalk (1-2, 3-4), all post-EQ.

What about tapping off you aux sends (one should be pre, one pre/post selectable).

Also, I don't think that any amount of rewiring magic on an insert cable will convert an insert (pre-EQ) into a direct out (post-EQ) without the addition of an external EQ. I may be wrong . . . anybody?

Paj
8^)

Neil Ogilvie said:
What Jimmy meant was he can't use the inserts for compressors when tracking because they are being used as direct outs. You can however, use the compressors as inserts in Cubase while tracking.......

Why would you use a plugin while tracking? It just creates more latency.

If what Paj says is correct, and you have an aux send that you can route selected channels to, then you could use the inserts for their original purpose to send to an outboard effect, then back in through the mixer eq, then pan to send 1 & 2 through your main outs and 3 & 4 through you aux outs

My board (Yamaha MX200) must be different because.. I use the inserts as direct outs (pushed all the way in) and they are post EQ sends. But if they are first clicked in then they are pre-EQ. I have also used my Behri-board inserts as direct outs in the same manner I think!

Best thing i ever did

Best thing i did was buy up an old studio master 16-4-2 desk, all channels with direct outs, and it only cost me £150!

Like mixsit said, just take the direct out from the insert and send it to the compressor instead of the recorder, then send the compressor output to the recorder.

Neil Ogilvie said:
What Jimmy meant was he can't use the inserts for compressors when tracking because they are being used as direct outs.

Yes he can.

When you plug in your 1/4" plug into the insert, plug it in halfway until it kinda snaps in place. Mackies will do this and I'm pretty sure berringers do it as well. This will give you a direct out.

For direct out:
1/4" mono plug halfway in the jack > recorder

To compress when recording:
1/4" stereo/mono plug all the way in the jack > compressor > recorder.

Neil Ogilvie said:
What Jimmy meant was he can't use the inserts for compressors when tracking because they are being used as direct outs.

Yes he can.

When you plug in your 1/4" plug into the insert, plug it in halfway until it kinda snaps in place. Mackies will do this and I'm pretty sure berringers do it as well. This will give you a direct out.

For direct out:
1/4" mono plug halfway in the jack > recorder

To compress when recording:
1/4" stereo/mono plug all the way in the jack > compressor > recorder.

As a pro recording engineer I can tell you that it is possible to use an insert to give you a direct out and a insert,use a insert lead that gives you a send and return plug,on the return plug put a one into two plug adapter,one plug goes to the out of the compresser,and the other is a direct out.The send goes into the compresser.

As a pro recording engineer I can tell you that it is possible to use an insert to give you a direct out and a insert,use a insert lead that gives you a send and return plug,on the return plug put a one into two plug adapter,one plug goes to the out of the compresser,and the other is a direct out.The send goes into the compresser.

Is this backwards?

Split the send in two...One = direct and one goes to compressor?

I'm not sure that this ideal anyway though. It's like not buying headphone amp and just writing two sets of headphones to one jack.

Each set is getting a weaker signal than it should be.

Back