Using Audacity

Dan Lail

I'm morphing from analog to digital. I've downloaded free Audacity. Say I record 8 tracks to mixed to stereo, can I add effects while listening to a dry track? I tried the "preview" feature, but you cannot adjust the reverb while listening to the track playback. Help!

For the most part, Audacity's effects are awful and clunky. I've only ever used change speed, amplify, and fade in/out and gotten the results I want.

Last time I did a project entirely in Audacity, I actually built the 'verb myself by cloning the track and delaying and hard-panning the clone.

oh, those. All audio software is going to sound the same. Reaper is good because it's powerful and cheap and small and comes with a 30 day trial that is never crippled, even after 30 days. It's the one piece of software that does almost everything it should at a good price and actually lets you try it out.

So with Reaper I will be able add post or pre effects while soloing a track or while mixing several tracks simultaneously.

Yes. Reaper is a full fledged audio recording software. Ignoring the price, I'd say it's just as good as the expensive stuff. The only think I feel that it's lacking is more MIDI capabilities, but even that it does pretty well.

I'm way more comfortable with analog but have tried several kinds of software with horrible results.....til i tried reaper! I'm not quite done
with the trial period but it's awesome!:D

Back