Usb interface?

A Shaved Wookie

Hi I'm new.

I've got an SM 58 and a blue icicle. When I record i have a problem!

My mic will only pick up sound if I'm less than a foot away from it and then It will distort if i sing to loudly and not pick it up if i sing too quietly so I have to sing at the same volume which is lame. Also every word beginning with B and P comes through aggressively probably because I'm too close but I can't go any further away.

Does this sound like the icicles fault or is it a dogey sm58?

Thanks a lot

P.S I hope the is the right fourm

Have a play around with the gain know on the blue icicle. I doubt its an issue with the sm58, but sometimes it takes a bit of time to get the right settings.

The B's and P's (also T's) create amounts of air that move at the microphone. I'm not sure if your mic has a pop filter, but you can get pop filters cheap on the internet on ebay (found a link for you). You can also fix this issue by learning not to breathe out too much when making those sounds.

When it comes to USB interfaces, you get what you pay for. You can't get much cheaper than the blue icicle ...

For the 'Bs and Ps' you need a pop filter.

Would I be better with this.

Alesis Multi-Mix 4 USB Four-Channel USB Mixer

I'm not at all well off and I can't afford more than this. But any suggestion would be nice

Thanks again.

Maybe you could post up a test mp3?
A mic like a 58 won't be very sensitive to normal level voice if you're a foot or two away.

What sounds wrong to you could be a fault, or could just be normal. It's hard to say without hearing it.

Agreed, your interface is cheap, but it should be usable, you'd think.

If you like I could to a test at a few inches, then a few feet? Maybe that would be a good reference point for you?

I've messed about with the gain a bit and I've got something similar.

soundcloud.com/a-shaved-wookie

It wont let me post links yet

Excuse my voice but a cold with a Northern Irish accent isn't the most pleasant thing one can experience.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Is the Lexicon alpha the best in the price range?

I'm not sure I would call it the best in the price range, but I have had experience with it. It does not however, have phantom power, so if you ever decided to try a condenser mic, you would need to purchase an external phantom supply. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. The preamp on the Alpha is decent as far as noise, though not very high in gain. I have no clue what the Alesis pre's sound like.

I've messed about with the gain a bit and I've got something similar.

soundcloud.com/a-shaved-wookie

It wont let me post links yet

Excuse my voice but a cold with a Northern Irish accent isn't the most pleasant thing one can experience.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

I would get (or make) a pop filter, sing close to mic, but slightly off axis. A high pass filter (EQ out the low frequencies) will help too.

Yep. I still have one. It works just as well IMO, as my $60 one. Involves a bit more duct tape tho. lol

Back