USB audio interface- is there much difference in sound quality to using SC line in?

constantthought

Probably quite a n00b-ish question to ask but is there a dramatic improvement at all in quality? I only ask because I use digital amp sims to make my tone and I currently can't clean up the grime from the distortion and I just thought that the cause was probably because I go directly from my guitar to the line in. I have no problems with the cleans though which puzzles me so maybe it is the amp sims?
Anyway, if there IS a substantial difference in sound then what would you recommend to be a cheap to midrange alternative to going direct into my soundcard?
ciao

Yes, the soundcard in your PC has been made with cheap components and gives a crappy A=to-D, in addition, your guitar (unless it has an active pickup/preamp) probably is giving too low a signal for it to see cleanly.

It isn't a bad soundcard, its a Sound Blaster X-Fi and it is 24-bit, I just don't want to waste money on something which may or may not improve the quality of my recordings. I think what i'll do is have a play around with some other amp sims and see if I can clean it up that way before I spend any more money. No problems signal wise so I guess my 'nezzy probably has active pick-ups. It is literally the perfect volume.
Thanks for the advice though mjb, next pay day i think I'll pick one up, had a pod 2.0 but that made the sound far worse than going direct

Back