Upright Piano

Snowcow

Can anybody help with this please?...

...What is the best microphone placement/procedure for recording an upright piano?

Thanks.

I don't know about best or not but this is a typical setup.

Remove the top and front panal to get access to the strings.

Use 2 condensors and center 1 over the bass strings and 1 over the treble strings at about 6-12 inches from the strings and 3-4 inches above the hammers.

Point the mics away from each other at a 90 degree angle for a better stereo image.

Since each piano is different from each other your EQ will play a part here.

You can also try a X-Y position (if your arrangment doesn't use much of the very low bass and the very high treble) aimed at the strings about 12 inches.
This will give you a good stereo image and a clear sound in the range of notes that sound realy good on the piano.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 01-26-2000).]

Yo SnowCow:

How's Steve Erwin doing wrestling those snappy crocs down under?

Why not get yourself a digital stage piano and then you can plug it in directly to your digital recorder and get marvelous sounds.

Besides, then you won't have to call the piano tuner EVER AGAIN.

I think your country is a beautiful place.

Green Hornet

i have a clavinova, and if that is considered a stage piano then recording it instead of a real piano blows goats.

Yo Kristian:

I've heard a clavinova is a great box; but I don't understand your metaphor of "blows goats" which must be indiginous to England.

Or the phrase is so mote that its esoteric essence is under a penumbra of ambiguity.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

Hi GH

Um,... not sure who Steve Erwin is.

I do have a synth with great piano sounds, but the upright piano in question is at a friend's house and she wants to record THAT piano to see how it will sound.
I only have one shure SM57, so I'm going to have to do my best with that.

Australia is ok I guess, but it's too bloody hot. I want to move to Canada!

Thanks for the reply...

Kevin

Back