Understanding proximity effect

Dantheman06

If I sing at 2 inches from my hypercardioid or cardioid microphone I will have proximity effect. If I sing at 4 inches instead (double the distance) the volume sensed by the microphone will drop by 6 db and I will have less proximity effect.

If instead of moving from 2 to 4 inch I just drop the volume of my singing by 6db will I get the same result as If I was singing from 4 inches instead of 2?

I tried to sing at various volume but my trials were not very conclusive….I think that I do not understand very well proximity effect.

Could you decrease the proximity effect solely by lowering the volume? Why?

Thank you!

If instead of moving from 2 to 4 inch I just drop the volume of my singing by 6db will I get the same result as If I was singing from 4 inches instead of 2?

No and no...because it's not about the volume, it's about...well, the proximity. :)
When you are close to the capsule, the low frequencies tend to get hyped...how much, depends on the mic.

Hi,

Thank you!

No.
Put simply, the closer you are the bassier it'll be.
If you recorded close, turned it down, and compared to a recording from farther away, the close+turned down one will still be bassier.

Find a mic that has less proximity effect...where its frequency response rolls off more on the low end by design.

You have to find the right mic for your voice and your singing style.

No and no...because it's not about the volume, it's about...well, the proximity. :)
When you are close to the capsule, the low frequencies tend to get hyped...how much, depends on the mic.

How does the microphone ''knows'' if you are far or close? How does it work?

Ok but...How does the microphone ''knows'' if you are close or far? How does it work?

Artificial Intelligence. :)

It's not about the mic "knowing"...it's about physics/acoustics.
As you get close to the mic, you "load up" the capsule with more low end frequencies.

(Same answer as in the other forum...)

How does the microphone ''knows'' if you are far or close? How does it work?

It doesn't know. It's to do with an imbalance of pressure between the front and back of the capsule.
That's how pressure gradients work - they rely on pressure on the front and back, and low frequencies at close proximity result in a greater imbalance than higher frequencies, or any frequencies at distance.

That's why you don't have proximity effect with true-omnis, because the back is sealed, but you do with mics which create an omni pattern by summing two or more other patterns (dual capsule?)
Some manufacturers, (EV+AKG) developed methods of addressing the 'problem'. I think it pretty much involved cutting slots, albeit very specific sized/shaped slots, in the mic, feeding to the back of the capsule.

This is just my loose understanding. Have a google and read some of the proper technical descriptions. It's complicated enough. :eek:

Last edited:
Back