u3

chuckduffy

Hey all,

Super excited. Been looking for a new piano for 2 years, finally found "the one" and pulled the trigger. It's a minty fresh 77 Yamaha U3 (tallest upright they make), plays like butter, sounds like thunder. It's a massive upgrade from my previous P22. Gets delivered tomorrow morning 8AM...

So - keenly interested in mic techniques, examples, samples from anyone who regularly records one...

Chuck

I record piano sometimes. My friend has an upright piano aswell. Usually I have some trouble due to the fact that is really hard to get low end on these things.

I like to record using spaced pair dynamic mics, so it doesnt sound so bright. I record it with the mics pointed to each end of the piano, pointed straight to its keys. If I get too much mechanical noise I just raise them up a bit. Also you can always add a room mic to blend and achieve a really nice ambient sound to it.

I hope I helped!

I record piano sometimes. My friend has an upright piano aswell. Usually I have some trouble due to the fact that is really hard to get low end on these things.

I like to record using spaced pair dynamic mics, so it doesnt sound so bright. I record it with the mics pointed to each end of the piano, pointed straight to its keys. If I get too much mechanical noise I just raise them up a bit. Also you can always add a room mic to blend and achieve a really nice ambient sound to it.

I hope I helped!

Thanks for the reply! Pointed at the keys is interesting. Do you have the front off or on?

Chuck

I'm sorry I took so long to answer you!

I record upright only with the top opened. I think, due to my not perfect english, I may have said something wrong. I dont point the mics to the keys...I point them on the top of the piano (at each end so then I can pan them L and R) straight to its keys, where the hammer hits and stuff. I'm sorry, I cant be more clear than that, english is not my native language so I still struggle with some stuff. LOL.

Back