two identical guitar signals without a splitter? (using my audio interface?)

:facepalm:

There's the simple, easy, right way, and the way most people would do it......and then there's the more complicated, jury-rigged way.

Sometimes you have absolutely no other choice, so you make the best of it....
...but then sometimes, some people just like to try and impress themselves by do things the more complicated, jury-rigged way....and they then argue against the more simple, easy, right way.

Oh...and Line Outputs don't go into Guitar Amp Inputs....and that's got nothing to do with physically being able to make the connection. If you have to buffer the shit out of the signal to "make it work"....you're already at "tone suck" stage....
...but, when you work with sims, that probably doesn't matter to you! :laughings:

The standard way to do it is with a high quality active direct box. That will have a very high input impedance to minimize tone suck, a parallel output to feed the amp and an XLR output to connect to the mic input of an interface.

Try a Y-cable. If it works it works. If not get a Countryman Type 85 or other good active DI.

The standard way to do it is with a high quality active direct box. That will have a very high input impedance to minimize tone suck, a parallel output to feed the amp and an XLR output to connect to the mic input of an interface.

Try a Y-cable. If it works it works. If not get a Countryman Type 85 or other good active DI.

Yeah, I also mentioned the Radial J48 in a previous post.
That active DI the absoluote best-case....if he wants to drop the $$$... :)

So miro and grim offer him a Y-cable in a metal box and don't even address his concern.
Actually, I was addressing the use of the word "unfortunately"
Unfortunately I don't have a signal splitter or a mixer
which implies at some level that if a splitter of some sort was in the OP's possession, they may have used it. So I was pointing out that they're not expensive. All the techie bit was like Shakespeare in Japanese. I didn't know what it meant.
The opening post wasn't singular, it was multifaceted, therefore, more than one answer could be forthcoming.
As for tone loss, I can't say I've noticed it and I regularly record by using the splitter, either to go through to two miked amps or a miked amp and a pedal or some other configuration. I make sure the amp{s} is loud enough. I use it on the bass too.

Actually, I was addressing the use of the word "unfortunately" which implies at some level that if a splitter of some sort was in the OP's possession, they may have used it. So I was pointing out that they're not expensive. All the techie bit was like Shakespeare in Japanese. I didn't know what it meant.
The opening post wasn't singular, it was multifaceted, therefore, more than one answer could be forthcoming.
As for tone loss, I can't say I've noticed it and I regularly record by using the splitter, either to go through to two miked amps or a miked amp and a pedal or some other configuration. I make sure the amp{s} is loud enough. I use it on the bass too.
Oh honestly we've been talking about **** hairs all through this thread. It's like the difference if your guitar's tone knob is just not quite all the way to 10. Not as bad as if your ears need to pop or you've been standing in front of a blaring amp in room with some dude beating on crap for more than a minute or two. But some people care about **** hairs. I don't know how much the OP cares, but he cares enough to come here and ask us.

Like the thread about re-amping elsewhere there seems to be a bit of confusion about the frequency response nature of the (passive) guitar/lead/input device system.

The term "tone sucking" has been bandied a lot and I am going to take the phrase to mean High Frequency loss (and it took me fekkin' AGES before I found THAT out!). Note too that for "HF" we are really talking up to about 8kHz here, 10-12kHz absolute tops, poncey talk of "air" will be stomped on!....If someone means something different from HF loss by that term, please give a definition?

The guitar/cable/amp interface it at once simple and complex!
Simple if you have one pup selected and the volume and tone at max (min attenuation) Then the system simplifies(!) to an inductive source in series with a resistance (of a 1-5kish) shunted by some capacitance and a load R, normally about one meg Ohm*. For any given pup' the response is a flattened peak centred on 2-5kHz the exact frequency being fixed by the inductance of the pup and the cable/amp capacitance. NOTE! From the OP's point of view, if you have a 5mtr lead and chop it to 3+2mtrs the response will not change (well, tiny bit from the extra input capacitance but this is not usually very big) . Note also that a HIGHER lead capacitance can result in more subjective "bite" because you will shift the resonant peak down to a lower frequency that might be more sensitive to the ear( Loudness curves) or indeed a peak in the speaker.

Then, whilst it is true that a lower load impedance, i.e. sub the magic meg', results in less treble, if you insert significant resistance, by cranking down the VC, a lower load will make this LESS apparent. Of course, once you start Jodrelling about with pots, things get very electrically complex. For home recording there is a very great deal to be said for having a buffer as the first thing the guitar output hits because after that you can do pretty much WTF you like.

Pedals and AIs generally have a very low input capacitance, much less than the 150puff or so of the typical triode input so a Y cable is fine. However I much prefer to put 3(or more) jacks in a wee tin and wire them pin for pin. Not only to I find this a more "elegant" way to split but the box can be used for other duties, speaker paralleling for example.

With SO many pickup regimes, so many cables and cable lengths and so many amps/pedals and speakers, no wonder this area is all pretty much "cut and try"?

*Many AIs, especially the early ones, had a Zin well under 1meg, some are as low as 100k. Nobody has ever seemed bovered tho' but!

Dave.

..Then, whilst it is true that a lower load impedance, i.e. sub the magic meg', results in less treble, if you insert significant resistance, by cranking down the VC, a lower load will make this LESS apparent.

...*Many AIs, especially the early ones, had a Zin well under 1meg, some are as low as 100k. Nobody has ever seemed bovered tho' but!

Dave.
Did this mean the lose of highs turning down a humbucker is less (compared to your wide open tone) with the higher load (lower Z) inputs?
Thanks

Did this mean the lose of highs turning down a humbucker is less (compared to your wide open tone) with the higher load (lower Z) inputs?
Thanks

That is not amenable to calculation. It depends upon the inductance of the humbucker, its winding resistance, the cable/amp capacitance, amp Rin and the amount of resistance inserted in the line caused by "turning down".

All we can say is that for a given setup reducing the load resistance reduces capacitive HF loss but of course the overall level drops as well, not usually a problem with buckers and amps with decent amounts of gain.

But we should rejoice in this complexity! Take the "umble" Strat, with 3 pickup positions plu 1/2 way houses and tone and volume pots, even before we use a given cable and amp the tonal variations are legion. Add all the other pup choices, winding tolerances, woods, hardware, strings and the electric guitar becomes FAR more complex and varied than any Strad cello!

Plus...Tubul*&^&%!! No! (meds again) The Hands...NEVER forget The Hands!!

Dave.

Yeah, gotcha thanks :D I'm just mulling over the revamp my 355 is due for. (.. ID the split Duncans I put in years ago to look at shifting the tone a bit, replace pots and jack, and thinking about those tone shifts with volume pot' alternatives.

Back