Tubes = Warmth. Not!

I just bought my first tube mic, and it has that top end sheen, which sounds nice, but I wouldn't call it warm (though it's not cold or harsh either). Tube guitar amps I owned were pretty warm, though. Not sure which transformers they had in there but they were pre '64 Fenders.

I think a good follow up discussion is which gear has the large transformers he's talking about?

Also, are plugins able to emulate those transformers?

That was pretty interesting... Having no tubes in my recording gear, outside of 1 tube mic (which gets 0 use because it's a POS), I can still see the truth in the transformer statement. If you ever have a chance, try out a warm audio TB12; you get the choice of 2 different output transformers that really shape the sound in different ways. If we're talking about guitar amps I'm going to say tubes all the way but anything else...well....maybe, maybe not.

I just bought my first tube mic, and it has that top end sheen, which sounds nice, but I wouldn't call it warm (though it's not cold or harsh either). Tube guitar amps I owned were pretty warm, though. Not sure which transformers they had in there but they were pre '64 Fenders.

I think a good follow up discussion is which gear has the large transformers he's talking about?

Also, are plugins able to emulate those transformers?

Which tube mic did you get? I just got my first one as well: an Apex 460 which I plan on modding.

Which tube mic did you get? I just got my first one as well: an Apex 460 which I plan on modding.

I got the Mike Joly Nady 1050 mod (since I don't know how to mod). If you see the thread a couple below this one, I was having some problems with it picking up rumble, but I think it's sorted out mostly. How's that 460?

What I don't like about the video, is that he seems to suggest that tube gear is a waste because you can't get "warmth" with it.
Well, OK...that is old news, as I said....but I see no reason to sell off your tube gear just 'cuz it doesn't = warmth. :facepalm:

Tubes can have their own thing, and it will vary from one piece to another..same as solid state.
I have one tube pre that also has the real large transformers...but it is very Hi Fi sounding and clean, and not what you would think of with a "tube pre". Then I have another tube pre that can get thick-n-fuzzy (what is often implied by the term "warm sounding") when pushed harder.
Each has it's use.
I hated the Hi FI sounding one at first...but over time I learned to really appreciate what it does, and it's become my go-to pre for a lot of stuff when I want that punch without any saturated color.

I got the Mike Joly Nady 1050 mod (since I don't know how to mod). If you see the thread a couple below this one, I was having some problems with it picking up rumble, but I think it's sorted out mostly. How's that 460?

Other than making sure it worked, I haven't even tried it out yet, to be honest. I'm debating whether I'm going to try it before I order the mod kit or not. I bought it with the express intention of modding it, so I just wait until I finish it.

What I don't like about the video, is that he seems to suggest that tube gear is a waste because you can't get "warmth" with it.
Well, OK...that is old news, as I said....but I see no reason to sell off your tube gear just 'cuz it doesn't = warmth. :facepalm:

Tubes can have their own thing, and it will vary from one piece to another..same as solid state.
I have one tube pre that also has the real large transformers...but it is very Hi Fi sounding and clean, and not what you would think of with a "tube pre". Then I have another tube pre that can get thick-n-fuzzy (what is often implied by the term "warm sounding") when pushed harder.
Each has it's use.
I hated the Hi FI sounding one at first...but over time I learned to really appreciate what it does, and it's become my go-to pre for a lot of stuff when I want that punch without any saturated color.

I didn't take it that way. To me it was more of his discounting the hype over tube gear being what is needed to achieve 'warmth'. Whatever that is...

I didn't take it that way. To me it was more of his discounting the hype over tube gear being what is needed to achieve 'warmth'. Whatever that is...

disproving the tube=warmth is fine...but he seemed proud about selling off all his tube gear, which I found rather odd...then he says tube gear is great.

The other thing...he says don't was money on "expensive tube gear"...and he came to the conclusion that it's the gear with big ass transformers that gives you that big fat sound...well, guess what, most gear (tube or not) that comes with big ass transformers tends to be expensive anyway. :D

I think what he's really saying in the video is that the sound HE was after wasn't in the gear he thought would have it.
That's cool...but why argue against tube gear in the beginning, and talk about selling most of it...then in the end he says, "don't get me wrong, I love tube gear and still like to use it".
Kinda came full circle in his message. *shrug*

Last edited:
disproving the tube=warmth is fine...but he seemed proud about selling off all his tube gear, which I found rather odd...then he says tube gear is great.

The other thing...he says don't was money on "expensive tube gear"...and he came to the conclusion that it's the gear with big ass transformers that gives you that big fat sound...well, guess what, most gear (tube or not) that comes with big ass transformers tends to be expensive anyway. :D

I think what he's really saying in the video is that the sound HE was after wasn't in the gear he thought would have it.
That's cool...but why argue against tube gear in the beginning, and talk about selling most of it...then in the end he says, "don't get me wrong, I love tube gear and still like to use it".

Naw, not if you take the message/point of the video that 'tube preamps' don't always equate to 'warm recordings'. Many just expect that that is the holy grail because they are expensive...

You watched the video again right? :)

Yeah.

It was circular. I think what he was saying is that he thought he liked tubes, but really he liked transformers, but he still kinda likes tubes...lol

I like what works for me and what I have.

I will gladly borrow some tube stuff and create a better opinion.

Any givers? :)

Naw, not if you take the message/point of the video that 'tube preamps' don't always equate to 'warm recordings'. Many just expect that that is the holy grail because they are expensive...

You watched the video again right? :)

I get his point about tube=warmth being a myth.
I get his point that some people buy into that hype and spend money on expensive tube gear, looking for warmth.

I'm just saying he kinda spun himself around, and finished off with "I sold almost all my tube gear."...and then..."don't get me wrong, tube gear is great and still use it". :laughings:

Yeah, I watched it twice... :)

Back