tube mics

Pop/Rock....yes....never did any Hip Hop.

It's not the genre, it's more about the vocalist and how a particular mic suits their voice and song....though for basic Rap "vocals", I decent tube mic might be a waste. ;)

Not all tube mics sound the same. Neither do all hop hop vocals. There is no good answer to this question because every situation is different. Generally, you don't pick a mic based on how it was designed, you pick it based on how it interacts with whatever you are putting it in front of. There might be a hip hop vocalist whose voice and delivery woyld be perfectly suited by a specific tube mic, but if you are going to be doing several vocalist with only one mic, it would be safer to get a higher quality solid state mic. Solid state mics are cheaper to make, so you will get a better one for the same money that you would spend on a tube mic.

I've used a Miktek CV4 tube mic on several hip hop artists through here. Dunno what it is, but my SM7b had some sort of annoying build up in the 500Hz area that made the vocalist sound kinda nasally when they used the SM7b, but the tube mic sounded really clear and didn't really need any EQ, so I usually end up using the CV4.

The problem with inexpensive tube mics I have heard is many have a bump at 5-10k somewhere. I have used a U87 for years. Some say it,s boring,but if I kick up the highs a bit with it on mixes it won,t be breaking up. I also have a cheap Apex tube mic costing $200. It breaks up in the highs a bit. With a $200-$300 mod it will sound better. You just have to research it some. I,d bet you could get either type to good for you. I just bought an Oktava 219 for $125. It almost sounds as good as the U87.

Back