Trying to get the best sound out of a condensor.

pM of impk21.co

Sup, new to this forum, but have had a thrilling ride on many other forums......

My Q, I am using a Tascam 788 to record with, I am using an AKG C1000 mic for vocals, I know its intended for instruments and back up vocals, but I believe its a step up from a my SHure58, anyway,

I recorded one of my guys today, the recordings were recored hotter than Id like to work with, but came out good.

I then attempted to start recording a different song for myself with my vocals using the same equipment, AKG>Mixer(a Tascam 424 recorder)> the Tascam 788, My voice didnt record as well, more distorted, and I even set the gains and levels lower.

Basically, any advice one using condensor mics with hard ware recorders. I have to work with what I have at this time, $ too low for any major improvements on the home studio gear, but any adivce would be apprecieated.....thanx,

pM

I have a C3000B which is kind of like the C1000 that you got. People hate both of them. Mine is kind of metalic sounding, how about yours?

Other than suggesting to re-track, I don't really get what your question is?

You recorded too hot onto the tape? Or the 788?

Did it clip? (hit zero?)

Why don't you just go straight into the 788?

You hear distortion......so I think what you did was record too hot and then when you lower the track volume, the distortion is still there? That would be because after you clip on tracking, it is clipped for good. You cannot just lower the volume to prevent it. You have to track with lower gain.

I still don't understand exactly what you mean, maybe elaborate a bit more off what I said if you could.

My bad, let me try this, what I meant was, my guy recorded a track earlier that day, his vocals sounded good, then later on, I recorded my vocals with a little less gain setting and my vocals sounded distorted and my voice is not as harsh sounding as his, but the last dude that replied was on the money. A friend who uses a condensor as well said it might be the battery, sho nuff, it was, that battery went dead during a recording. We put a fresh battery in and it sounded good.

Why not go directly into the 788? Well, I plugged the akg 1000 directly in the 788 with gain all the way up, the sound level wasnt near as strong as when I ran the condensor, or any other mic, threw the 424 first and then run it to the 788. I believe the 424s dont have any phantom power but running mics threw it help me eq and make external volume adjustments, kinda like a mixer. I dont know if you own a 788 or have worked with one, but they have no phantom power.

Metalic sound, is that maybe kinda like a box sound? Ive been working on that. My boxy kinda sound comes from too much reverberation from within the room. I guess for me it will be trial and error before I get rid of the sound...

pM......hiphop the spot @ www.impk21.com

Usually if a mic has a battery you don't need phantom power though I've never used that mic and could be mistaken. You might try going direct to the 788 with the fresh battery.

"Usually if a mic has a battery you don't need phantom power though I've never used that mic and could be mistaken."

Yeah, I dont need the phantom power with a battery, but I'd rather have a consistant power vs. "damn, that would have been a good take, but the battery went dead"... know what Im sayin..

"You might try going direct to the 788 with the fresh battery."

Didnt think of that.... thanx, peace....

Back