Trying to figure out how to control delay repeats, Garageband and Reaper

danielheeger

Well, I'm fairly new to home recording, still learning, but getting better.

Now, what I'm trying to figure out is how to add delay at only certain parts of a vocal. My prime example would be Alter Bridge's "Ghosts of Days Gone By". On the verses, there are 2 repeats at the end of each phrase. It sounds great. I would like to be able to do that, with one or two repeats. Also, maybe something like "Us and Them", by Pink Floyd. The software I have is Garageband and Reaper. If you could help at all, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

In Reaper you can use ReaDelay. There is an assortment of parameters that you can play with to get the right effect. When that bit is done, you can determine which part of the track you want this to apply to by setting an envelope.

When you click on the envelope icon on the track, it will bring up a list of things for which you can create an envelope. It will show the ReaDelay parameters, and down towards the bottom you will see 'bypass'. Use a bypass envelope so that bypass is on where you don't want the effect, and off when you want the effect on.

Another more basic way is to create another track, and onto this, copy the bits of track you want delayed, and physically move them so that they are positioned after the original. Reduce their volume, and play with the gap to get the effect you want.

One way to do it, if you don't want to start programming envelopes, etc...is to copy the vocal tracks so that you now have 2 identical tracks. Add delay to one of the tracks and delete everything but the parts you want delay on. On the original track, delete all the parts you're keeping on the other track that has delay on it.

I might have made it sound more confusing than it really is.

That's what i do.
Mult the track.
So i take my vocal cut out the bits i want delay on.
Put them into a new track with the same effects i had in the original vocal plus a delay on the new track.
to control the amout of "echos" i use the feedback button.
Not sure about reaper or garageband i dont use them that much these days.
but you get the picture.

Back