TRS to TS 1/4" How?

zwh

Ok, simple question from a newbie.

Preamp has balanced TRS 1/4" outputs.

Recorder has unbalanced TS 1/4" inputs.

What kind of cable do I use? TS or TRS? Or do I need some kind of adapter?

You can either use a purpose-built cable or an adapter. The cable has the advantage of being easier to deal with, fewer connections, and less strain on the input connector, unless the adapter is one that uses a short piece of cable instead of making you hook two barrels together to make a really long connector on one end of your cable.
Be sure to check the preamp manual to see if there is a recommended wiring scheme....some gear requires a specific way to wire the outputs when going from balanced to unbalanced, since you could damage the preamp if it's wired wrong.

You can either use a purpose-built cable or an adapter. The cable has the advantage of being easier to deal with, fewer connections, and less strain on the input connector, unless the adapter is one that uses a short piece of cable instead of making you hook two barrels together to make a really long connector on one end of your cable.
Be sure to check the preamp manual to see if there is a recommended wiring scheme....some gear requires a specific way to wire the outputs when going from balanced to unbalanced, since you could damage the preamp if it's wired wrong.

I wasn't aware if they made any TRS to TS adapters, or even cables? I can't seem to find any online.

Would plugging a regular TS cable halfway (first click) into the preamp outs work?

Use either a TS or a TRS cable doesn't matter. There is no such thing as a TS to TRS cable because there is no point. For a balanced cable to work like it's supposed to it needs to be balanced on both ends.

Use either a TS or a TRS cable doesn't matter. There is no such thing as a TS to TRS cable because there is no point. For a balanced cable to work like it's supposed to it needs to be balanced on both ends.

Alright, that's what I was hoping.... Thanks

does your recorder have xlr inputs? if so make yourself a trs to xlr converter. many recorders will have XLR inputs with pads on them which allow them to take line level signals.

does your recorder have xlr inputs? if so make yourself a trs to xlr converter. many recorders will have XLR inputs with pads on them which allow them to take line level signals.

There's something about the above statement that bothers me. I can't think of a single recording machine (a newbie would be using) that has mic/line switchable XLR inputs.

In all but extreme circumstances, a decent 1/4 TS to 1/4 TS unbalanced line cable, as suggested.

Use either a TS or a TRS cable doesn't matter. There is no such thing as a TS to TRS cable because there is no point.

Of course there is a point, such as hooking balanced preamp outs to unbalanced recorder inputs, like this guy is trying to do, if the manufacturer says they need to be wired in a certain way.

zwh- do yourself a favor and read your manual. Most likely you can just use TRS or TS cables with no problem. But like I said, some gear will require you to wire the cables in a specific way to prevent damage. There are places to find TRS or XLR to RCA cables, and Redco.com will build anything you need, for cheap.

There certainly is a such a thing as a TS to TRS cable, and I own a bunch of them.

Gear should be wired according to its specs. If you have unbalanced TS gear on one end and balanced TRS/XLR on the other, you should be using the correct kind of cable. Don't forget that there are electrical signals traveling along these cables and they need to be sent to the proper destinations!

A lot of home studio type gear is designed to accept TS or TRS. You should definitely read the manual for the gear that is on both sides of the cable and buy or build cable that is appropriate.

There's something about the above statement that bothers me. I can't think of a single recording machine (a newbie would be using) that has mic/line switchable XLR inputs.

Off the top of my head, the 02r96, Dm1000, DM2000, 01v and a few other digital desks by yamaha which were standard gear for a LONG time all have XLR inputs which, with the pad engage, would quite happily take line-level signals; indeed, they were designed to do so and the markings (at least on the 02r and the DM1000/2000 have 2 different scales on them which reflect this)...

Off the top of my head, the 02r96, Dm1000, DM2000, 01v and a few other digital desks by yamaha which were standard gear for a LONG time all have XLR inputs which, with the pad engage, would quite happily take line-level signals; indeed, they were designed to do so and the markings (at least on the 02r and the DM1000/2000 have 2 different scales on them which reflect this)...

Yeah, but none of the desks you mention 'off the top of your head' are anywhere near what a newbie would be using, probably not even an 0V1 (as for the others, forget it). That's what was bothering me.

Yeah, but none of the desks you mention 'off the top of your head' are anywhere near what a newbie would be using, probably not even an 0V1 (as for the others, forget it). That's what was bothering me.

Sorry - I don't use much consumer gear anymore so am a bit out of touch with it. I was just trying to make a helpful suggestion (which, to be fair, is a lot more than you've contributed to the thread!), my sincere apologies as it seems to have roughled your feathers a bit.

Incidently, the guy didn't mention what he was using. Someone offered an alternative, I offered another. Get over it.

In all but extreme circumstances, a decent 1/4 TS to 1/4 TS unbalanced line cable, as suggested.

my motu 896HD has xlr inputs switchable between mic and line.

Sorry - I don't use much consumer gear anymore so am a bit out of touch with it. I was just trying to make a helpful suggestion (which, to be fair, is a lot more than you've contributed to the thread!), my sincere apologies as it seems to have roughled your feathers a bit.

Incidently, the guy didn't mention what he was using. Someone offered an alternative, I offered another. Get over it.

Point taken. Sorry.

There are sorts of strange things out there. Depends on imagination.

Example of the need for such a cable – you can use a channel insert for a spare out by using a bridged TRS to TS cable. The bridging prevents the signal from being broken so there is no need for a circuit running out the board and back. For someone who has only a stereo or four channel mix, this is handy for recording a bunch of channels simultaneously.

I think the OP sorted it out...considering he asked the question 7 years ago. :D
Ummm...Nine??? ;)

But this is a pretty common question, and now that it's been bumped there probably will be some people clicking on it because they're in a similar situation. Unfortunately, there's a lot of conflicting information and no real resolution.

The real answer to this question is in reply #10. The document in that link has a very thorough discussion of all aspects of this question, and down at the bottom is a nifty quick reference chart and even wiring diagrams for about any type of "mismatched" connection we might need to make in the studio. Yes, it's pretty long, but not overly technical. Yes, it requires that you know something about your gear, and some of the information that you need isn't always on the spec sheet or even really available at all.

The fact is that with most modern gear (which is not directly cloned from vintage sources) will work fine with either a TS>TS or TRS>TRS cable. The first will short the source's R to ground (S) which might damage certain older gear, but I've never owned anything that cared. The second will just leave the R floating open, which could theoretically piss off some very uncommon types of circuits, but again shouldn't be an issue with most things.

The problem with TRS>TS cables is that there are several ways to wire them, and how they are connected matters. If you're buying cables, you will almost never actually know how they are wired until you get them in your hands and either inspect or test the connections. And if you build your own, you need to first decide which way is best for your application and then remember and/or somehow mark the cable so you can identify it later.

Rule of thumb: Plug it in with whatever is handy, and if it doesn't sound all fucked up (it probably won't) just go with it, but don't blame me if it starts to smoke. :)

It's about the same thing going the other way, too. Unbalanced source to balanced input has a different set of considerations, but it usually works fine either way.

Back