Trouble with one note on a vocal track

TripleM

I had a weird problem with a vocal track last night. I'm using a Shure SM57 (it's the only mic I have) and a Mackie 1202 vlz mixer.

The problem happens on the vocal track with one particular note. On this particular note, there is an overtone on the recording that I can only describe as a high pitched "whirring." The note is repeated a couple times in each chorus and is held for two measures and so it's very noticable.

I tried several distances from the mic, but it didn't have any effect. I ran out of time at that point (family came home, damn).

The trim level on the preamp was a bit hot - a little past U, but only a little.

So what is causing this and what could fix it? Could I turn down the trim and turn up the channel volume? Could I (or should I) angle the mic? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

...this is a wild stab, but what's your room like? Is it possible that there's a certain frequency that's reflecting off of something (or some other strange acoustic phenomenon)? If you can, try the same thing in a different room, or throw some blankets on the walls (just to test it).

As far as fixing it, the only long shot I could think of would be trying to EQ that frequency out (obviously).

I've never run into that recording, but I have gigging.

...just an idea.

Thanks for the advice. Because I record using a computer, moving to another room would be difficult. But it's certainly possible to move the mic around within the room. I think it's a longshot, but I'll give it a try.

I'm pretty sure trying to EQ it out isn't going to work real well.

set up a parametric eq on the channel. boost as far as you can, with a narrow bandwith. loop that particular note, and sweet through the frequencies and find where that resonance is. try some corrective eq and see if sorts your problem out.

id defintiely put that down to a room problem, but then again, i haven't seen your room.

Thanks everyone.

For future reference to anyone, it was a room problem. When I had the problem, the mic was near a wall and the singer's back was to the wall. I moved the mic to the middle of the room and the problem disappeared.

now

:)

now imagine all the other notes youve recorded and what happened to THEM because of parallel reflective surfaces!

:)

Back