trouble mixing the inputs

alower

I am using a 414 portastudio from TASCAM. OK, I´m sure it sounds silly , but I am stuck with the simplest of operations: I have two parts (voices) of backing vocals to record. One is recorded on track 2, and I´m trying very hard to record the other voice (er, myself...) onto track 3 while simultaneously mixing it with the voice I already have recorded on track 2. I´m doing so because track 1 is occupied by the guitars mix, and track 4 is occupied by the mixing of drums and bass. Well, here goes the question: HOW THE HELL DO I DO IT? According to the manual it is perfectly possible to record in track 3 signals coming from another track (2, in this case) simultaneously with an external source (microphone pluged to input 3, in this case). Nevertheless, I tried every possible arrangement of PAN, RECORD FUNCTION and EFFECT 2/TAPE CUE controls imaginable, and never it seems that track 3 I allways end up with just the microphone sound from input 3 (and never athe desired mix of this mic AND the voice I had recorded on track 2). I am sure I did not understand properly the very brief directiond given on the user´s manual regarding PAN, RECORD FUNCTION and EFFECT 2/TAPE CUE controls, but the manufacturer does not seem to understand that regular folks do not stand a chance of getting to know what does "tape cue" means unless they are told about it in ENGLISH. Sorry about my humor, but it´s been so many days trying to do such a silly and simple thing... Can any generous soul please help me out here? What am I doing wrong? P.S. = Please mail the answer to alower@radiolink.net. Best regards,

Andre Lower
Brazil

Yo Andre in Lower Brazil. [Brazil is a great tune]

The cue on your recorder probably works just like my old Tascam 488.

If you record a track, say track 2 and like the take, you must put that track into the CUE mode so you can record the next track. When you put a track into CUE mode, the fader does not control the volume; volume is controlled by the CUE controls, usually knobs and, of course, your headset volume. You don't need to worry about the CUE being too loud; and, you don't worry yet about FX While in CUE mode; If you don't put a recorded track into CUE mode, all sorts of weird things happen; you can get cross over recording or lose the data in the case of a digital box.

So, let's say you have three tracks recorded and you are doing the 4th, a vocal....you need to put the three recorded tracks into CUE mode, modestly set the volume so you can hear what you need to hear; then, you can record your 4th track. When you are all done overdubbing, then all the tracks are TAKEN OUT OF CUE MODE and once again, your faders control the volume, and now you set the EQ's to your taste, adjust volume, play it back and set everything up by listening to the monitors and THEN, you are ready to do your first full mix.

After you do one mix, mess around with the FX in various ways and do a couple more mixes. Usually when you get the bass line and chords the way you want them, you just mess with the vocals' FX. However, you can mess with any track you choose with FX.

Hope this helps you out and you're right, THE MANUALS ARE WRITTEN BY PEOPLE LIVING IN AN ASYLUM.

Green Hornet
bmocini@davenport.edu

Back