Transferring LPs and cassette tapas to digital recorders.

AztecWilliam

I guess my first attempt to post this question was unsuccessful. Anyway, I want to digitize my LPs and cassette tapes. I would like to connect a turntable and/or cassette player via cable to a recorder such as a DR-22WL, then transfer the file to a computer. Is the TASCAM a good way to do that? My son says the sound quality will suffer. I know about feeding the analog media directly to a computer, but want to set up several units to speed up the process of digitizing my large LP and tape collections. The process just described would require several computers; using a digital recorder as an intermediate step would be more economical because they are less expensive than computers. That would not be a good idea if the quality of sound suffers.

Any advice I receive on this question would be appreciated.

Thanks,
AztecWilliam

It would be up to your ears to decide, but what you describe sounds entirely reasonable for on the cheap. If you think you have truly good media to dub, I'd want something better. You could do the tascam and test it out. Add more tascam, or, something better quality. Certainly, I've have plenty of media that don't deserve the extra expense. With my good records, I record on what sounds good, which doesn't have much to do with specs. I'll use specs(24-bit, 88khz) if I think I'm going to process the sound to make it sound better (and I won't be using a cheap interface to do that).

Alos...for each turntable you will want to use a Phono EQ box before the computer interface...otherwise t will sound funny.

Something like this: ART USB Phono Plus | Sweetwater

I don't know how many computers/transfer rigs your talking about...but to really speed up the process of getting everything transferred, you would probably need several rigs...so 1 computer, 1 phone EQ per turntable, 1 audio interface for the computer.
For the cassettes, just the computer and interface.

Now...you could also get a multi channel interface...like 8-channel or 16...or even 24 or 32 (they get expensive)...and if your computer is up to it, you could potentially hook a turntable/phone EQ and cassette to each pair or the interface for your L/R...so a 16 channel would let you hook up 8 turntables or cassette decks....and then you assign each pair to it's own tracks in your computer audio application...hit REC on all the tracks, and start playback on all your devices....but that or even multiple computer rigs per device...will be a management nightmare if you are doing it all alone....plus, nothing will end at the same time...so you're running from computer to computer, or stopping starting...and than you also have to name the files to keep it all organized...

I would not go past maybe 2-3 computer rigs...or just use one, and take your time, enjoy the music as you are transferring. :)
It may be the only time you will get to hear all of the music again. ;)

The EQ curve can be applied after the dub, but that is only if one has to. If there is such a thing, the joy of records is having the multiple preamps, tables & cartridges for different music. Its possible he has at least two great preamps. I wouldn't think a afternoon, or, evening doing two tables and two tapes would be that difficult. Nothing blows up if your in the can - it will just record emptyness. If I had room and the tables, I could record(digital) six tables and preamps without any computer rig, along with a couple of the cassette decks. The grief is what kind of files you want. A lot of stuff I leave as Side 1 ! hahah

There's only two phono sections, out here, I would want to use, though. One might be close to my Marantz 2245 in storage for the Pink Floyydddd/Moody Blues stuff. I don't have anything hot for full symphony orchestra, for example.

Why that difficult? Download them. That's totally legal in your case. :listeningmusic:

The way to record?
Plug the out from the player(s) on your aux-in of your pc. (for easier regulating the sounds, put a simple dj stereo mixer between both. Used ones for sale from about $10)
Download audacity*, and set it to record your pc's aux-in (quite easy, just try the options. Many times the standard sys driver will do).
Start the player, and simultaneously press the record button in audacity*.
Export the result to whatever quality and file-type you want.

That easy. ;) And with reasonable quality as good as the original (if done correct and with good HD quality soundcard)
But i would download. :cool:

* or you could use another good recorder or DAW.

Last edited:
You can do it with multiple tascams, you would want to record it as a 44.1/16 bit wav file. You could go to 24 bit, but it is pointless with that source material (unless you plan on processing the audio) and some media players will not play 24 bit files.

If you are converting to mp3, do it at the highest bit rate you can.

However, buying a 16 channel interface and downloading reaper would probably be cheaper and more straight forward. That would give you 8 stereo inputs at once. It will be a file naming nightmare no matter what you do.

Ha! I have just, today, ordered a Behringer UC something Phono converter. £27.00 ppaid.

A few weeks ago I went to my daughter's place and used the rather tasty hi fi rig there to copy a couple of LPs but tis PITA logistically. (my own vinyl player is not working atmo)

I have used (as have others here) the B' UCA 202 for odd jobs and it is a remarkably useful device for the money. I spotted the phono variant (also has flat line ins for tape) and thought I would give it a do...Also comes (it says!) with a 'Fantastic and comprehensive software bundle'!

I shall find the actual mod# forthwith and report back when the gizmo arrives.

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

Behringer UFO202 U-phono USB Audio Interface

Dave.

The thing many people forget is that it is not just the RIAA curve, but the fact that cartridges have VERY low output - so while you can apply the curve, you also need to apply gain and the two often fight. Almost any 70s hifi will be able to let you have a line out at .775V that almost any audio interface will be happy with. A typical separates amp won't cause any s/n issues, as the circuitry was pretty well the same within a brand. The extra money in the more expensive ones was spent on extra facilities and power - not on better quality audio in the pickup circuit department. The Behringer isn't a bad choice really.

The thing many people forget is that it is not just the RIAA curve, but the fact that cartridges have VERY low output

Agree with all that Rob, except! 'Tape outs' on receivers etc were hardly ever 0dBu, 775mV. OP level was more like 150mV but that should not of course bother the line input of ANY interface.

Dave.

However, buying a 16 channel interface and downloading reaper would probably be cheaper and more straight forward. That would give you 8 stereo inputs at once. It will be a file naming nightmare no matter what you do.

Yup...same thing I was getting at.

The complexity isn't in how to transfer...or what gear...
...it's that the OP wants to do multiple, simultaneous transfers, and run it like some assembly line process in order to shorten the time it will take....and also, there's the organization of all those simultaneous files, either as you go, or after the fact.

..(my own vinyl player is not working atmo)

That bites. I had lent my Garrard Lab80 to a friend and he tossed it out on my because it wasn't fully automatic anymore. That sucker would still be in use had he not came into the picture.

As an aside, cartridges of a type can have models with a order of magnitude higher output. All still low output, but that translates to what is in the tape loop.

Your basic Grado might be 5mv. My ADC 6.05mv. shure m-44-7 9.5 mv. Many output at 3-4 mv and lower

..(my own vinyl player is not working atmo)

That bites. " Not really G, my wife leaned on the shelf my hi fi was on some years ago and it all collapsed. Various health issues twixt me and her have meant I have never gotten around to fixing it all. I had pretty much given up on vinyl anyway, all that rumble, crackle and pop. I love most musical forms but have settled into 'classical' more in my old age, mostly Bach, cello, violin and keyboards.

When I took some discs to my daughter's house and rigged the Hi Fi into my KA6 I remembered how basically limited vinyl really was/is.

One of the discs I transcribed was 'What is Good Recorded Sound' commissioned by HFN magazine many years ago and I intend to put up some clips soon as..

Dave.

BTW G! An 'Order' in level is 20dB not < 6dB!

Dave.

Here's a $12000 Moving Coil output;
"Output voltage: 0.56mV@5cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees"

Me saying "cartridges of a type"

When Moving Coil came out, I was able to resist the extra expense : )

I sure dig the broke thing. I had to have someone turn off the outdoor spigot for winter, and now no one will turn it back on for me. I still get some stellar vinyl rips, but to play a record, I have to stand up. I last played a record to illustrate the pitch correction control - far easier that firing up the tape deck

Sony (now Magix) Vegas could have multiple iterations open at once, each accessing different devices or inputs on the same device. That would be one way to exploit an interface with more than one pair of inputs for simultaneous transfers.

Back