Tracking re Auxes on A & H Zed 22-FX ;

Thrip

I bought an Allen & Heath ZED-22 FX analogue mixer, and since I got it have tracked everything by way of the "Minimal Signal Path" approach. So far I've only been recording my own material, -on my own.

-However I'm getting to projects soon that will involve other artists, multiple musicians recording and playing to tracks already recorded.

I've looked through the mixer's manual that cite that it is the Auxes (Auxes #1 + #2 in the ZED-22 FX case) -that are to be used as feeds for recording or for "Foldback Monitoring".

-However I have tried the Auxes and what I thought to be every combination of the various switches on the mixer -and can't seem to get a situation where I can use a previously recorded vocal track as a guide track, (that is unusable otherwise itself because of guitar bleed in) and track another vocal without also recording the previous vocal track).

I know that this is a very common practice and that audio engineers often have a different mix for the artist to hear while they're recording, (often with a bit of reverb on their own voice and certain other tracks brought up that will help them in their new track performance), and another dry mix more balanced overall for their own monitoring as tracking engineer.

I bought a fairly good pair of Sony closed-back headphones for that expressed purpose, -so that musicians could hear the music that they will be playing to -without any of the sound of the other previously recorded tracks bleeding into their new track from the headphones.

As this is something that I will have to know how to do I thought that I would get into this now whilst I'm still just recording alone, (and only wasting my own time).

I have to believe that this procedure must be simple enough, -I must of overlooked something ?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Thrip

Are you using the USB stereo recording facility on the 22FX? If so you are not going to get THE best results. AFAICT the 22FX uses the gen' 1 16 bit USB converter and whilst the ZEDs are much better than run-of-the-mill 'Bellringer type' 16 bit mixers, they are still noise compromised. I have a 16bit ZED10.

As for your monitoring issue, the Stereo Returns feed the AUX 1,2,3,4, busses and you can pick that signal off from AUX 1,2, out. The Main Out L&R signal is not affected by that AUX signal.

It might be simpler to just hang a headphone amp onto AUX outs 1&2? The wee Behringer HA400 is plenty good enough.

Dave.

Not using USB stereo recording facility on the ZED- 22 FX ;

Are you using the USB stereo recording facility on the 22FX? If so you are not going to get THE best results. AFAICT the 22FX uses the gen' 1 16 bit USB converter and whilst the ZEDs are much better than run-of-the-mill 'Bellringer type' 16 bit mixers, they are still noise compromised. I have a 16bit ZED10.

As for your monitoring issue, the Stereo Returns feed the AUX 1,2,3,4, busses and you can pick that signal off from AUX 1,2, out. The Main Out L&R signal is not affected by that AUX signal.

It might be simpler to just hang a headphone amp onto AUX outs 1&2? The wee Behringer HA400 is plenty good enough.

Dave.

Hi Dave,
I'm not using the USB stereo recording facility, -I'm "out of the Box", -going from the Allen & Heath ZED-22 FX,s analogue console -into a Radar 24.

As I am also concerned with being as non noise-compromised as possible, (as I said in the previous message), -I tend to record "minimal signal path" from the very quiet Grace Design 101 pre -into my Radar 24. -Someday I intend to get a much better, quieter, and more appropriate studio mixer.

But as I am soon to be recording with other people & ensembles, I need to be able to track over tracks -without recording previously recorded tracks recorded as well onto the new track.

-For multiple musician multi-track recording I have 16 Hosa Docs jumpered insert cables to get around the fact that this ZED-22 FX is a performance mixer. -This makes the mixer much quieter, (as long as I don't pick up any radio signal interference or noise from the unbalanced system -which much depends upon the room location.)

I don't have a headphone amp. It will be a while before I can afford more gear.

The ZED-22 FX has only 3 Auxes, -Aux #1 & #2 are pre and Aux #3 is post.

Right at the moment I'm not dealing with a stereo issue, -I have one vocal track that has guitar-bleed-in that I want to replace with one new vocal track, -using it for a guide track. I tried many things with the Auxes #1 and/or #2, (pre & post), and the Auxes buttons & switches etc. but still couldn't record without picking up my guide track as well. -I know that there is some simple way to do this.

Back