track effects send mackie-cr1604

floppy_d

Hi,

I'm trying to dump all tracks from my cassette 8 track to my computer so that they all appear individually. The problem is none of the effects are getting recorded. I have each output of the 8 track going to the first 8 channels on the mackie-cr1604. Then I'm using the direct outs into a delta 1010 soundcard. I have an effects unit hooked up via the aux send, and I can hear them fine on my headphones. The effects will also record fine if I use the main out.

Any ideas? Do I need to hook things up differently?

Thanks!

I mostly just want to do some minor editing and adjust volume levels on the computer.

Then transfer the tracks to the computer and mix it there. You will have way more options, better effects, better overall sound, the ability to undo things, and the ability to save a mix project, work on another one and come back to the first one without having to write down all the settings. I hope you're not thinking of transferring it back to the 8-track for the mix.

I would skip the Mackie and connect the 8-track directly to the 1010. Ideally you will want to match input sensitivity of the 1010's inputs to the outputs of the 8-track. I don't know if the 1010 can do that but if so it's going to be either +4dBu or -10dBv.

Pick which track(s) to get effected, return the fx on a spare ch. (rather than 'aux return). Assign the affected track and the fx's track(s stereo?) to a sub group and output that as your daw record input in place of the direct out(s.

Now, the next thing that'll likely occur' here is the conundrum created here with the boxing in' in of your options revealed here. Like Boulder' asked. Hmm.. are we mixing here.. or transferring? :)

There's a second option perhaps--
Don't premix the fx with the track(s). But do some premixing of some tracks to free up your daw inputs for fx only tracks. (more sub-groups in place of direct outs doing the lifting

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to experiment a bit. It looks like I can actually use external effects with the software I'm using so I can transfer tracks and mix everything on my computer with the same effects.

Back