too much popping, what to do???

jimmyjames9

man, i have a new found respect for all you home recorders out there. this is some tough shit. you run into one problem you solve it, boom, there's another. anyway, i keep getting a lot of popping when i sing. is it better to sing loud or soft, close or far, crank the pre or turn it down? shit, i'm lost i'd would appreciate any help. thanks.

No problem.
You can buy a pop filter kit from a place like musiciansfriend.com to solve the popping problem. Basically, it's a nylon screen that is placed between your mouth and the mic and is softens the consenants that you use. I think these kits are around $30.
A home-remedy for this is a normal coat hanger bent into a circle with a nylon pantyhose (preferably clean) pulled over it. Tape it to the mic stand and bend the hanger so the nylon is between you and the mic.

hi there
i definately agree that the pop filter is the way to go if you dont have one. they serve their purpose well. also mic technique can come in handy here. for a quick fix try singing into the mic at a bit of a side angle. the diaphram of the mic will not be quite as directly exposed to the power of your voice. just remember to adjust levels accordingly. good luck.
garrett

I happen to prefer dirty nylons!!! :D

A pop filter is a drastic measure that should be avoided unless all else fails. The recommendation of aim the mic down towards the singer is a much better one, as it also picks up a more natural sound.

You have not told us what you are using for a mic. If you are using something like a SM-58, well, the mic is designed to be used up close to offer it's best sound. In this case, controlling the constanents would be the best solution. If you are using a large diaphram condenser, then getting away from the mic, and not singing directly into it, unless you want to intimate sound that technique offers, is the best route.

Good luck.

Ed

i'm using an sm-57 with some little foam thing that is supposed to help with popping (it doesn't seem to work). thanks for the help, i appreciate it! i think i'll try the pop filter kit.

There is a usefull technique that I heard from a enginer
that worked for me in a problematic word or 2.
Very fast turn down the lows below 100Hz at the word ( or part of the word.
Go with the pop filter- it is a very commen way to work

Back