Too much bleed?

twostone

Anybody got advice on how to fix to much bleed . I'm using a Shure SM57 mic on my snare and I have way to much bleed from my Zidjian K hihats I tried moving the mic around. I also tried moving the hihats futher away from the snare but drummer has to hard to play away from his normal HH position. Any ideals to get less bleed from hihats snare sounds great but just has way to much hihat in it.

1st and best; play the snare louder, lay off on the hat.
Optional; build a shield (It'll only get you a bit more there.

How about micing from the other side?

try raising the hihats.............................a beyer m201 is remarkably directional (assuming you have or have access to one)

Or become a master at setting up noise gates

First, get a more directional mic.

Then mic the bottom and blend the two. It will give you better balance, and the snare can sound pretty cool that way. You'll never fully block it out, so just do your best.

The only time I have problems like this, the drummer is beatting the crap out of the hat (usually wide open) and tapping, ever so slightly, on the snare. Most bleed problems can be dealt with by having the drummer play with the proper dynamics. I would bet that the hat is too loud in the overheads as well.

point your sm57 away from the hi hat and towards the center of the snare. make sure you are getting a really hot signal from the snare to tape find a point in the signal where the snare is the least loudest then gate from that point and as suggested before tell your drummer to ease up on the hi hat, it's not about beating the drumset as hard as you can, its how you can get all the kit to sound good and groovy, you are going to get bleed no matter what.

I want to be clear. You don't have to beat the crap out of the snare, or any of the drums. You just have to balance all of the things around the drumkit. Hitting the snare too hard and the hat too quite will be a problem as well.

Embrace the bleed. Your goal is to balance the sound of the whole kit, not the sound of each individual miked source. Treat the kit as a single instrument and mic where you need reinforcement.

Back