*** tips and tricks ***

Protocall

Hey guys,

I would like to start a thread for tips and tricks for recording techniques. What do you guys do/use and have learned over the years that will be helpful information for other people? Ill start first, I have noticed having the microphone stand with the microphone almost directly at my eye level, this helps any breath to go underneath the microphone and not pick up any plosives and other breath sounds. It looks kind of funny because it almost feels like it should be lower at first, but I have noticed this has helped tremendously! Anything types of tips and tricks that be would like to share would be great!

However you position the mic, don't bend your neck up (stretching the vocal cords) or down (compressing the vocal cords) for best sound.

That actually contradicts what my vocal teacher tells me. Granted, it shouldn't be exaggerated or noticeable, but she has me sing slightly up when I sing lower, and slightly down when I sing higher.

'Shouldn't be noticeable' is the key! Haven't you seen pictures of people with their heads bent way back singing up to a mic hanging down in front/above them? That's just wrong!

Standing is preferred over sitting, too, as when seated the diaphragm is compressing the lungs somewhat. Of course if you are a good singer, you can learn to sing as well sitting as standing, but you must learn it first.

Avoid eating ice cream, drinking milk and eating large quantities of other dairy products (like mac & cheese) before singing. Mucous is not good!

Also keep a bottle of water helps (not cold). I was told by my vocal coach that the vocal chords are muscles. Drinking cold water is like icing down your legs before a sprint.

Back