tips on live recording an "acoustic guitar symphony"

Bumpy

need tips on live recording an "acoustic guitar symphony"

I am currently teaching a group acoustic guitar class with about 17 students. One of my goals is is to record this group (no audience). Here are some of the details:

A room that could be used for recording is a multipurpose room at a church. Floors are carpeted, sheetrocked walls, ceiling tiled ceiling (55 ft high angled down the center). The dimensions of this room are approx 180 X 80. Acoustically, this room is on the "dead" side.

I could record in another room, 60 X 30, carpet floors, sheetrock walls, ceiling height 13ft (ceiling tiles). This room is somewhat dead too, but during our guitar practice, this room sounds very "full" when all are playing.

I can record 4 tracks simultaneous, but I think I can get by will less....I hope, anyway.

As far as mics go here is my stash: SP C1, SP T3, a pair of MXL 603s, AKG c1000s, AT4033, SM57s, SM58s. I have a friend that will loan me his Sony C800 if needed. I could rent others.

How do I arrange the players?? In a circle in the middle of the room?? In a corner? On risers in a corner?? On risers in the center of the room?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I realize that you folks can get me "close", but its up to me to "trust the ears".

Thanks

Last edited:
I would arrange them in a semi circle, two rows. Set up the MXL's in a stereo(I like ORTF). Get the mics up in the air 7' or 8' at the center of the semi circle.

In this months article of recording magazine they had an article on surround sound recording. In order to do this though, you would need a DVD burner, but I would put the players in a full circle with four (or five) mics pointing out from the center of the circle.

Man that would sound good

I was thinkin just putting them in a semi circle, 2 rows too:
<pre>
- - - - - - - - -
- - - -
- - - -
mxl603 C1 mxl603
</pre>

kind like that - but a row going around that too.

then, i'd slop that c1 in the middle, and the 603's on the outsides. Pan it just like that too. (C1 not panned, 603's HARD left/right).

make sure you get some good placement, cuz some wierd phase stuff could happen with this. Most likely though, it'll sound pretty rad. just pick nice spots for the mic. wherever your ears hear it the best, put em there.

Thanks to everyone for your help. You have given me some great ideas.

What about the room size, because I have a choice. Should I go BIG or small?

why not try em both? if you got the time at least...

otherwise - since you've heard the group in them both, right? whichever you remembenr as sounding the coolest. I am guessing that for such a huge amount of guitars, you'll want the big room. That's a lot of noise for a small room - reflection city maybe? then again, could sound cool! haha. but you said the big room soudns good with it, then try it out, can't hurt. and if it turns out to really suck - next time try the small one.

I like both shackrock's and sloop's suggestions, but I like XY for the 603s and the T3 in omni (of fig 8) placed a few feet back farther from the group to pick up any room ambience.

Back