Thicken up Vocals...... Help

Antz_Marchin

What does this mean, and how do you do this???

"if you want to thicken it out in the chorus, what I usually do is group the backgrounds together and EQ the hell out of them to exactly that one frequency that will add a little depth to the lead vocal without getting in the way, so you feel it but don't hear it. There's maybe three-part harmony on the chorus, but when you listen to it, it just sounds like her. I recorded Lauren [Christy] in the background in places, and there might be Graham [Edwards] and myself on a lower part, but heavily EQ'd. I took the group and used Filterbank — you dial in whatever frequency you want, so I EQ it really tight, so what I'm doing is pulling out specific frequencies that Avril has and just building in bits of low end and bits of high midrange to get the depth that I need in the vocals."

How do you EQ a 3 part harmony to sound like 1 voice to thicken vocals in the chorus of a song?? Could I do this on with my voice on multiple tracks?? Does it involve panning the back up layers out at all??

Sorrry not sure exactly what to ask but the description sounds interesting and it sounds really goon in the product. Thanks for the help.......BJ

You could use your own voice rerecorded on seperate tracks but the idea in that article is to use different voices, even a different sex, to help add the missing tones. Panning would make them sound less like one voice.

They explain it pretty well so I don't know what else to add. If you find your voice sounds wimpy then find somebody with a strong voice to help thicken it up. If your voice is dull then find a voice with a little more edge to liven it up. EQ out anything that is too obvious or standing out until it all sounds like one voice.

If it was easy then everyone would be doing it ;)

The easy way to do it is just sing the same part a few times (exactly the same way) and put them together. Compress and EQ it so that it sounds more like one voice and not too chorusy.

Back