Which of these microphones should I get?

steffeeH

I'm currently considering what condenser microphone I should get.
The mic will be primarly used in voice recordings for video tutorial creation, but also for basic recording for sounds that I can sample and use in sounddesign (mouth modulators, experimental percussion etc). There may however be other usages as well as I'll probably stick with the chosen mic for some time.
There are some price differences between the various mics of a few dozens of dollars, and I will go with the one that seem to be the best, but if there is only little, if any difference between them, then I'll obviously just go with the cheapest one.
Some may say that I should invest that little extra in a mic, but I don't have a fortune to spend on it.

Let's say that the room treatment is not an issue, and that my decision is only about the microphone itself.
All choices comes with a basic kit, including mounting etc. My audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Alright, so the contestants are:
- SE Electronics SE X1
- Samson MTR201A
- Rode NT1A

I would also go for the NT1a because it is a very versatile mic. But maybe you should look for videos on youtube and pick the one which pleases your ears and then it will all come into learn how to use the mic for your specific conditions.

At the moment I'm strongly thinking of going with the Rode NT1-A, as it seems to have the lowest self-noise, and from listening to comparisons I like its sound/character the most (compared with SE Electronics X1 and the Rode NT1).

Unless there are any other suggestions within that price range, I'll probably go with that one when it's time to buy.

Rhode NT1A vocal condenser microphone is the quietest studio Mics with wide dynamic range.Also one of the best price/performance ratio product.

ASTON ORIGIN at $249?

Sound On Sound Review: Aston Origin

Video Review and Testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvUhLe6lpSY

One of the Aston Mic Designers is, James Young, who I've known for some time, and is one of the Founders of sE Electronics and their extensive range of Microphones and related gear.
As I have read, 33 well regarded UK Sound and Recording Engineers helped to decide the nature of the "Origin" and higher priced "Spirit".

The trouble with asking people what mike to get is:

1 they don't necessarily know what your specific requirements are;

2 they can only offer advice on the basis of their experience, and they may not have experience with all of the mikes you've listed to be able to make a comparison.

With that, of the three, I go with NT1A. That's because I have one which I've used happily for many years.

May I go against the grain and suggest you change tack entirely?

With your list of requirements, I'd go with a small diaphragm condenser rather than any of the LDCs on your short list.

SDCs tend to be under-rated on this forum but I find them the most versatile mics in my kit--which is what you need for that list of requirements you gave. They sound good on spoken word voice (you find them in lots of BBC radio studios) but can also record anything from sound effects to a wide range of musical instruments. I used one this afternoon to record a dog barking for a sound effect in a show I'm working on.

At the budget end, the sE1A is hard to beat--for more money, an AKG 391B or 453EB are both excellent. You might get a stereo pair of sE1As. For your mix of needs, I'd also look into a basic fishpole, wind gag, that sort of thing.

Bob

+1 on Bobb's SDC suggestion.
Yes the NT1a does have very low self noise but you will struggle to find an ambient noise level to do it justice.

I have used AKG p150s on acoustic guitar at 2am in the "leafy burbs" (Gogle NN5 5**) and still get more "room" than electronic hiss.

Also MUCH easy to poke at things.

Dave.

Back