Is there a problem at all if i use a trs for recording guitar ?

CHRISTOPHERIBEN

Also is there another way to convert unbalanced signal into balanced without using a di box ?

Thanks for replying guys

keep learning music !!

With a passive guitar, the big problem with TRS might be that the wire for the R is left unconnected at the guitar end, and if it's connected to a TRS input, all that extra noise will get added (well, subtracted, but it does the same thing) to your guitar sound. Course, if that input is also low impedance meant for line level sources, it'll suck most of your treble.

An active guitar won't work at all, because it depends on the S of a TS cable shorting the R to S of its jack to power up.

Why do you think you need to convert to balanced?

thanks for your reply !

Because everytime i plug my guitar with a TS cable , i can hear a lot of sound on the background. Like a interference sound or some weird sound always in the background and it gets recorded .

So i used today a DI box and even with a DI box i continued getting that sound. And the weird part is that it seems that the sounds gets lower when i take the DI box with my hands . so its like if the sound goes to my hand and make ground thru me .

What suggestions can you give , so that i can solve this interference sound when trying to record guitar?

so its like if the sound goes to my hand and make ground thru me .
No. It's more like you are the source of the noise and you're grounding yourself via the DI.

This kind of thing is normal with passive guitars, but it should go away or be reduced very much the same as touching the DI does just by touching the strings on your guitar.

If that doesn't help, try touching the bridge itself.

If that doesn't help, try touching the metal "barrel" part of cable where it's plugged into the guitar.

If that doesn't help, the shield on the cable is fucked. Try a different cable.

If touching the cable helps, but touching the bridge doesn't, then the wire that's supposed to connect the bridge to the jack is broken somewhere along the way and you'll have to dig into the guts to fix it.

If touching the bridge works but touching the strings doesn't...your strings are not conductive? IDK what to do about that. :wtf:

Either way, a DI isn't actually helping in this case. If it's passive, all it's really doing is reducing your already relatively weak guitar signal, compromising your S/N ratio from that point forward.

Im going to try it all . wow seemlike you really understand all this man thanks a lot .

So in brief how would you connect your passive guitar to record to get the best possible and cleanest sound ?

I plug my passive electrics into a guitar pedal - any pedal that's not true bypass (they'll definitely tell you if it is) it has to be powered, but not necessarily on - and from there to a line input on the interface. Never had a problem.

Back