Is there a multitrack recording mixer?

I dunno, but the bigger question to me is why you would ever want to take that approach. The idea here is that it is usually best to record a clean signal and to manipulate it later. If you attempt to manipulate the signal before capturing it, as you would with a live sound mixer, all you are really accomplishing is limiting your options with that recorded signal once it's captured.

So the live mixers that work well as DAW front ends usually capture the signal post preamp and pre-eq. The first Mackie Onyx mixers with their fire wire card worked this way, and allowed 16 channel in / 2 channel out. The second generation mixers allow 16 channel firewire in/out, which makes the mixer far more useful. But it still requires a separate device to record.

All in one recording units like the older Akai DPS would allow you to operate a live sound system as well - but did a pretty poor job of it. They formed excellent freestanding DAW units, but being all things to all people never woks really well. There are some specialized units that can do this - for three or four grand.

Or, are you asking about the possibility of a mixer that acts as an actual interface, like the PreSonus StudioLive or Behringer X series?

As other have noted there are a few "all in one" boxes that act as a mixer and recorder combined. Some people love them, others don't.

In a professional studio, the norm would be a mixer with direct outs on every channel, feeding to DAW (or stand alone digital recorder) for the actual recording. Mixing? Sometimes "in the box" on the DAW, other times using the mixer (but a fancy one) as a remote control for the DAW.

In a home situation, it's a bit different. It's pretty rare that you need/want a mixer on the input to whatever you're recording and mixing on. Unless you have specific need, you're usually better off in terms of quality, cost and flexibility using a conventional audio interface and mixing "in the box.

However, if you want to drool, have a look at: ZED-R16 - Allen & Heath

I will be getting a Mackie DL32-R which is 4 rack space, 32 input digital mixer. It also acts as in interface with your DAW. I'm getting this one specifically for remote multi track recording when doing gigs (at the moment I lug an Allen and Heath Mixwizard outputting to 2 Zoom R24's that are synched for 16 channels of recording). Presonus, QSC, Behringer and others make units that will do both but I going with the Mackie because of it's software, additional outputs and layout. I will not, however, be using at an interface; just a live multi track recording solution. I'll import the files after the gig to my DAW for mixing later.

I will be getting a Mackie DL32-R which is 4 rack space, 32 input digital mixer. It also acts as in interface with your DAW. I'm getting this one specifically for remote multi track recording when doing gigs (at the moment I lug an Allen and Heath Mixwizard outputting to 2 Zoom R24's that are synched for 16 channels of recording). Presonus, QSC, Behringer and others make units that will do both but I going with the Mackie because of it's software, additional outputs and layout. I will not, however, be using at an interface; just a live multi track recording solution. I'll import the files after the gig to my DAW for mixing later.
USB external drive for capture then?
Thanks

USB external drive for capture then?
Thanks

If working stand alone, then yes; you need a USB external hard drive for recording. If using as an interface, well then it's plugged into your computer via USB and using that hard drive ;)

Alan, do those record? I was leaning towards the Behringer X32 Rack mount until I saw the Mackie with 32 channel inputs. At the moment it only records 24 tracks but they are supposedly working out the software kinks for the remaining 8 channels. That is probably way more inputs than I'll ever need but I maxed out my 16 channel board enough that I'd rather have more inputs than less. I do occasional live sound and with the Mackie I can get more and bigger gigs.

I see the QSC does in fact record. It's a bit pricey, though at $1300. The Mackie DL 1608 is $800,, though it doesn't record. The Mackie DL 32 R is $1800. Presonus products seem priced similar to Mackie and the Behringer a little bit lower than that. The Presonus and the Behringer products all record.

Both the Mackie Onyx and the A/H Zed require an external recording device. As I interpreted the OP's initial request, he asked whether there was anything on the market that (a) allowed for live mixing and (b) also recorded at the same time without the
use of an external device.
There are such devices, mostly for live TV broadcast use and field recording. But in the market we're focused on here, I'm not aware of practicable alternatives that function simultaneously as both a stand alone recorder and a live mixer. There are a handful of mixers that do this when used with an external recording device - the Allen & Heath and the Mackie both will send and receive firewire to a robust laptop, for instance. Those are exquisite machines, but they rely on an external recorder.

There's a suggestion that an external disc drive could be used with one of these mixers (I think the Allen & Heath) just by itself. That's an intriguing idea that I'd like to learn more about, if it is viable. It could mark a return of the all in one recording unit, similar to the AKAI DPS and the Tascam units, but having live FOH control in addition. Powerful idea.

Back