This is kind of a limb from my earlier thread "The sound of vintage recordings." Obviously, I've been digging some early Stevie lately.
This bass sound has always astounded me.
A) It's massive
B) It's loud
Yet, despite A and B, it doesn't step on anything else in the mix or make anything muddy.
C) It's very round with very little transient, yet it's completely discernible throughout (see A and B). If I had to choose a bass line to transcribe, I would pick this one in a heartbeat because you hear every single note clear as a bell.
So... I was just wondering if y'all could tell me everything you know about this sound. I'll start with my assumptions. Please correct me if I'm wrong and add to the list if you can.
1. It was played by Bob Babbitt on a Fender P-Bass.
2. I'm guessing the mute was used on the bass.
3. I'm assuming it was plugged direct into the board, which was likely a very high quality board (anyone know which?).
4. It probably had a bit of compression applied on the way in?
5. The song was mixed by Russ Terrana
Anyway ... any more specifics y'all can add?